How can I learn to write how I think?

I have such a vivid imagination. I have the hottest fantasies and the best ideas. But I cannot transfer them to paper!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:51 PM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Start writing all the time. My dh is a writer and it is hard work, you just have to keep doing it. Most artists have to work to hone their skills. Very few people are born with the ability to express completely their ideas easily. Keep working at it and it will get easier.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:54 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• draw it out then maybe words will come. Also community college offer low cost not for credit, courses. Writing is usually one.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 4:54 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Read what you want to write, and start by journaling daily....or just writing on scraps of paper. The more you read, the better your own writing will become, the more you write, the easier it is to find your own voice on paper. I'm a freelance writer, and the biggest thing I think that keeps people from getting published....well, the 2nd biggest thing....is they don't write the way you speak. One tip I give people is to start telling your story. Tell it to a tape recorder, tell it to your husband, then write it down.....or write it down, edit, then read it out loud....edit it again until it flows like you're just telling a story to your friends. Then read it out loud to your husband or a friend, until it sounds the way you talk. Eventually you'll be able to write comfortable in your own voice.....that doesn't mean you won't have to do rewrites, just that you'll be comfortable writing. Have fun!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:26 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• free write, just write what you think..don't worry about making sense or even spelling just write, then when your finished writing, clean it up and use it.
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 9:52 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• if you have trouble getting your full thoughts on paper in a way that sounds like in your head, start by brainstorming. write words phrases that get the main points across and then fill in the details afterwards.
    Comfy

Answer by Comfy at 4:53 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• You also may want to come up with a pen name and a new persona to help some of those more steamy thoughts flow.
    SFerber

Answer by SFerber at 12:52 AM on Feb. 18, 2010