• In the Spotlight:

what a good age to put your baby in a big kid bed?

My lil boy just turned 2 and I got him a big boy bed! Well the past 2 wks have been a struggle. It midnight most nights before he will stay in bed and sleep! Should I go back to crib for awhile and then try again in a few months?

cortneydmorris

Asked by cortneydmorris at 4:52 PM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is the crib still in his room? If it is, take it out. It wii take him a while to get use to a different type of bed.

Answer by louise2 at 4:56 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I don't plan to move my daughter to a big bed until she can climb out of the crib. She turned 2 in Oct. I did this with my older daughter too. It took a while for her to get used to the idea of the big bed and that she had to stay in it and go to sleep. Good luck, Mamma!
    Anonymous

• Don't go back to the crib. He'll get used to it. Like a PP said, if the crib is still in the room, get it out of there. I switched my DD at 18 months. She watched us take down the crib and build the bed. Then we went out and picked out new bedding. We made a big deal out of it for her.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 5:12 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I switch my daughter shortly after her 2nd birthday and I just recently switched my son to a toddler bed. He'll be 2 next month. I need the crib for our Junebug so that's why we switched him early. I wouldn't go back to the crib...just keep putting him back into his bed, he'll get it eventually! Good luck!!
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 6:14 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• We changed my son to his bed when he kept climbing out of it at 17 months. The first week was a little challenging... but it was the same struggle we were having with his crib... he just wouldn't stay put! So if he would get out of bed we would march him back to bed and leave the room again... frequently we would find him on the floor sleeping by the door. But after a week he didn't get out much anymore. Occasionally he will wake up and still go by the door and lay down... I'm not sure why he does it.. he brings his pillow and everything!
    I would just be firm and make him go to bed and just keep putting him back.
    For our bed time routine we have found it works best to sit him in his bed and read a book from his chair... when he gets tired he lays down and goes to sleep. We used to have him in our lap for story time... but this method works much better with him getting used to sleeping in his bed.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:30 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• We just got a convertible crib that we're going to make straight into a toddler bed. I intend to put dd down for naps in it and then do the crib at night (if she has a hard time adjusting). I need to get her transitioned by July and want her permanently in her new bed by May so hopefully that works!
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:08 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• We have had our 27 month old twins in twin beds since September. They may wake up at night and get in our bed but we just lay them back down. I would stay with the big boy bed just keep putting him back to bed.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 9:23 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• no, he'll get used to it! My dd went to a toddler bed at 14 mos... I shut her door at night and she had a childproof door handle on there for a couple months but I'd prefer her staying in than roaming the house and hurting herself! I go in for the hurt, or scared cry, otherwise she's fine. She's 2 and STILL loves her bed! I also put her favorite character (princess of course...) and she is so much happier at night! We got it for free, along with the bed but maybe try something like that? He will get used to it!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 12:26 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• my son went to a toddler bed at almost 17 mo. we did have a hard time at first, but i do think he's doing very well. he will sometimes wake up at night and come into our room, but i just walk him back to his room and he climbs back in bed and goes to sleep.
    i think it really depends on the child. my son would lay down in a regular bed and go to sleep and wait for someone to come get him (probably bc he was afraid to climb down by himself). so, we thought he would do just fine in transitioning from a crib to a bed. when we moved into our house, we put his toddler bed together. he did ok for a nap the first day, but that night was awful. he ended up sleeping w/ us and i also think that had a lot to do w/ a new place too.
    i would keep trying. if you feel that being in a crib is better, then move him back. you're mom and you know what's best for you and your child.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 2:35 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• My son's 2.5 and still in his crib. He never tries to climb out. We will move him to a toddler bed this summer when the baby moves to the crib.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 6:52 PM on Feb. 14, 2010