Does anyone else hate..

the term "colic"? To me it just means "I don't really have any idea." My last doctor diagnosed my son with colic without even seeing him! I called her and told her he was screaming at the top of his lungs, and she goes "Sounds like colic to me." I'm very annoyed at how easily the term is thrown about.

wahm_abbeyrose

Asked by wahm_abbeyrose at 6:16 PM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes it is an overused term and to me it means that they don't care enough to be a real doctor and take a look at the child to make sure there isn't other issues such as acid reflux, and other digestive problems. I would not tolerate that as an answer and would find a more progressive doctor.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:18 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• i for one wouldnt call my doctor to ask them a question i would call them and say i need to be seen now and they get me in i took my son in after he was crying for 6hrs straight and the doctor told me he DIDNT have colic so you need a new doctor and you need to go in next time not just ask a question
    Anonymous

• anon I'm with the switch drs question but not with the critizing for asking a ques. rather than always going in.... nothing wrong with calling to ask something when you are not sure and esp. when exposing your baby to TONS of germs can so EASILY be prevented.

But OP, yeah not cool ... I would look for a new dr.
    I was a colic baby -- but I swear that I prob. would not have been born today b/c my dd also screamed like crazy until I found a formula that worked for her -- she was SUPER lactose and slightly milk intollerant. She did good on soy. My ds was on nutrimigin.

Oh and one time I ate WAAAAAYYYYY too much garlic while bf -- and ds cried for a long while that day too.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 7:44 PM on Feb. 13, 2010