bleeding diaper rash in 14mth old?

my daughter is 14 months old. For about 3 weeks now shes had a horrible diaper rash ( started when she had grape juice but hasnt had it in 3wks so why is there still diahhrea?) Nothing has been working- we've tried desitin, cornstarch, anti-fungal cream, A&D, also the dr gave us a prescription for nystatin and hydrocortisone cream. Now its bleeding,raw and looks like shes been burned. Put a call into the dr who gave a script for triple antibiotic ointment and said to come back in 72hrs if it doesnt clear....poor baby won't eat or drink anything. Could it be rotovirus??? even though she hasnt vomited? any advice is appreciated!

axbeautifulxlie

Asked by axbeautifulxlie at 6:53 PM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'd take her diaper off and let her air out. My dd had problems and the doctor said to keep the diaper off (or use cloth diapers). Do you have a sunlamp or will she lay in the sunlight coming in the window for a few minutes? I wouldn't give her anything acidic that would burn her when it comes back out. Have you tried feeding her bananas or saltines?

Answer by admckenzie at 6:57 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• My kids had this if they ate something very acidic (grape juice) Try to leave the diaper off as much as possible, stay home and have a naked day! The trouble with this is when it is weeping, none of the creams stick do they! One thing that help our hugely was bathes in Pine Tar solution - smells awful but it is very soothing. ou can put them in a cool bath with it in, or use it neat on a cotton swab gently on the affected area. Gently pat dry or let air dry, and as much naked time as possible.
    Good luck - PS baby pain relief is a really good idea too, imagine have your girlie bits in that state, keep up the pain relief.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:57 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Have you tried a different diaper brand? My daughter couldn't tolerate Luvs and would break out in a long lasting rash. Also try using just water or wet cotton balls to clean her bottom. And we only used Aquaphor as ointment, the others made it worse. Sounds so painful for her. I hope it clears up soon.
    DigiScrapperMom

Answer by DigiScrapperMom at 6:58 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• no i dont have a sunlamp, and getting her to sit still for more than a minute is a huge task! lol...we've been keeping the diaper off today and ive tried giving her a banana and she took a bite and told me no..even refused pedilyte, both liquid and the pops :(
    axbeautifulxlie

Answer by axbeautifulxlie at 7:01 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• My DD could only tolerate Pampers diapers. We use Triple Paste for her diaper rash. I hope her bottom clears up soon.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 7:01 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• thank you guys for your advice!
    axbeautifulxlie

Answer by axbeautifulxlie at 7:02 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• The doctor use to tell me to soak my daughters butt in a luke warm tub or bath for a little. Also try to take the diaper off her for a little bit..
    Jaclyn1987

Answer by Jaclyn1987 at 7:08 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Lots of naked time is the best thing you can do. A similar rash is what pushed us to switch to cloth diapers - haven't had an issue like that since, and my daughter's really sensitive to acidic foods as well.
    Heather2001

Answer by Heather2001 at 7:33 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• My son will get the runs when he's teething or drooling alot... And he would get a bloody rash too... I would clean his bottom, the put cornstarch on his bottom and put triple paste diaper cream on that EVERY TIME I changed him. And change her alot even when she's wet. It will take a few days but will better in one or two changes.......... Good Luck!!
    Kahlc85

Answer by Kahlc85 at 8:45 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Dont use wipes rinse her off in the shower and use a gentle washcloth with baby soap and pat it dry with a towl. then apply the tripple antibiotic cream afterevery wet or dirty diaper. also some time without a diaper is good too. Make sure she gets lots of pedialyte while she is having all the loose BM's. If she seems like she is getting dehydrated take her in to urgent care or ER and have her checked out. Good luck=)
    Mamaof2boys1802

Answer by Mamaof2boys1802 at 9:44 PM on Feb. 13, 2010