How do you get your 2 year old use to a hard sippy cup?

My 2 year old is so against hard sippy cups. She will not drink out of them. I've tried everything.. I wouldn't let her drink out of the soft sippy cup for about 4 hours and kept trying to give her the hard sippy cup. She would just cry and walk away... Someone please have some advice for me.
Thanx

Jaclyn1987

Asked by Jaclyn1987 at 7:06 PM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i would only give her water in the soft sippy and her favorite drink in the hard one. Then don't give in. As long as she is drinking something, it is ok if she doesn't have milk or juice for a couple of days until she gets the hang of the hard cup.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:09 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• My 2-yr-old prefers straw cups. Have you tried those? We use the Take-n-Toss ones that are $3-4 for a 4-pack, and they don't leak much unless you hold it upside down and shake (yes, my toddler's done that, lol). Worth a shot, anyway. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 7:16 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Don't give an option she will do it when she is thirsty don't worry about it she will get what she needs it might take a few days but it will work.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:35 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Just be consistant. If she knows she can break you, she won't stop. They're smart little critters, so stay firm and she'll come around. Also, they actually can handle real cups at this age so it may be worth it to give her a little plastic cup of water when she's in the high chair and see if you can't just move on to the next stage
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 9:01 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• It is like taking away the bottle, if there is no option then they learn to drink from what is offered. She will drink from it, she is just testing to see if you will give in...like the bottle breaking.....hang in there.
    gammiej

Answer by gammiej at 8:08 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• i threw away the bottles so she had a choice..sippy or regular cup..my daughter is 2 and only uses a sippy when we go on road trips. i did that wih all 3 of my kids..
    gothmama91

Answer by gothmama91 at 6:21 PM on Feb. 14, 2010