When you are pregnant do you really need to take those nasty pre-natal vitamins?

With my first pregnancy I would get sick I went through 3 or 4 different kinds and they will all get me sick. I have my first appointment on thursday and I hope i don't have too.

KathyMed

Asked by KathyMed at 7:11 PM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i didn't take any with mine and she turned out healthy and beautiful. she weighed 7lbs and was ful term. it is a good idea to take vitamins but i chose not to i ate right and got plenty of rest.
    Anonymous

• YES
    Anonymous

• I took vitamins only til the third month. Couldn't do it after that. My kids were just fine.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 7:14 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• yes they are very important, you wouldnt want your baby to have some kind of deficiency or something bc u didnt take ur vitamins would u?
    secondtyme520

Answer by secondtyme520 at 7:15 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I'm the same way, and you can take adult vitamins or take two chewy childrens vitamins and that equals a prenatal. With my twins I drank 2 nutritional drinks a day ( like ensure, but walmart brand) to not only get extra nutrients but to get calories.
    There are alternatives. They can give you a perscription for chewable prenatals now as well.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 7:18 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• How could a vitamin make you sick? You just put it in your mouth and swallow it with whatever beverage you choose.... You don't really taste the vitamin. It is absolutely vital that you get all of the nutrients in the vitamin.
    Anonymous

• its good if you did
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 7:20 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• no YOU don't but the baby does. you decide on what's important

Answer by admckenzie at 7:22 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• They are huge, aren't they? Obviously, every doctor will recommend that you take them and most moms will, too. Maybe you should bring it up to your doc that you have a hard time getting them down. There might be an alternative to those big pills, like someone else mentioned how they drank protein shakes or whatever.
    mickstinator

Answer by mickstinator at 7:28 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I was the same way, but they are important. I learned to take mine right before bed, and that way I don't get sick from them and they are not an issue.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 7:31 PM on Feb. 13, 2010