Why can't my husband give me a compliment?

My husband of 6.5 years cannot give me a compliment. I want him to do it on his own, so I've never directly asked him. I don't want him to be doing it just because I want him to. I casually mentioned something a couple weeks ago, I gave him a compliment and he responded. I then said "At least you can never say I don't give you compliments"...Tonight he came home with roses, which was great. He told me he loved me and then said, "there's your compliment". I asked "what compliment?" and he said again, "I love you"...I love you isn't a compliment. We say that to each other all the time. He can't ever say anything about the way I look. So, why? We have a great sex life, so he must not find me THAT repulsive. What does this mean? I can't remember the last time he gave me a compliment.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• It means he's a man...women know the art of giving and recieving a good compliment...I think all men missed that memo.
    Anonymous

• you should be happy he told he loves you and bought you flowers. He is saying you are beautiful to him.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 8:29 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I think it may just be a flaw. My husband NEVER brings me flowers, I mean never ever ever. I would love to get them sometime but I would never ask, but he is quick to compiment. No man is perfect, but we love them anyways!
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 8:46 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• i think you're overreactting.
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 9:19 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Ugh. Sorry. If that's the only complaint you have, I think you should stop complaining and just be HAPPY you have a good marriage.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:19 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• My husband is the same way, except I DO flat out ask him sometimes. I'll say "Say something nice to me" or "Give me a compliment". And he does the same thing "I love you." Yes, that's a compliment, and I love you too, but I want something SPECIFIC about something you love ABOUT me lol.

I just enjoy the fact that I have a husband who truly does love me and shows me in a million little ways. I think it's just a man thing.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:38 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• why can't you be happy with what he does give you instead of complaining about what he doesn't give you. he comes home every night. isn't that complimentary enough?
    Anonymous

• Sweetie, don't listen to these women on here telling you you're overreacting and you should be happy. No one should tell YOU how YOU should feel, but YOU. Women love to be adored and admired. It's in our nature. It doesn't take much to say something nice to someone. It is GREAT that he brought you flowers and tells you he loves you. At least, he has other ways to show his affection. But, no it is not too much to want a compliment every now and then, especially from the person you married. I know you don't want him to do it because "you want him to" Sometimes, we just wish they would get it, but sometimes, you just have to sit a man down and tell him exactly what you want. If he makes an effort to compliment you after that, then that's awesome!! All in all though, I wouldn't get too worked up over it if he doesn't catch on. Men sometimes just don't get it even after telling them something over and over. lol.
    MiCaHsMoMmY1206

Answer by MiCaHsMoMmY1206 at 10:06 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Also, I have to add: Sometimes men just DON'T think about things they don't do that hurt us. Just like with my hubby today, he was out with his family all day and gone longer than I expected him to be and I'm pregnant and sick and our son is sick too and he didn't call to see how I was feeling or to let me know he would be late or anything. I asked him why and he said, "I just didn't think about it." Just let him know it hurts your feelings and I'm sure he will understand. Mine didn't realize what he did wrong until I brought it to his attention. I hope this helps and good luck!! =]
    MiCaHsMoMmY1206

Answer by MiCaHsMoMmY1206 at 10:12 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• girl stop being a total brat,hes a man and he got you flowers that was his way of expressing his love,he isnt you! so stop thinking he has to do or act the way you do,yes some men are more romantic and he isnt one but he sounds pretty normal.
    Anonymous