Fridge question part 2? Any of you ladies appliance savvy?

Okay having a big party 2 morrow, overloaded the freezer part of the fridge! I thought a couple of days ago it sounded odd, but seemed to be working. Hubby claimed too much food in freezer would cause this, so now finally it is about 25 degrees here unloaded the freezer part and it seems to work, put about 1/2 of the food back in and it stopped---1/2 of the food is way less than usual.....IDK what to do? I am sure no one will be able to deliver a new one by the morning, and it is pretty expensive,,,,it is working when empty so spend the money to call an appliance guy on Sunday? It is supposed to be above freezing here 2 morrow and I am having a huge celebration for my brother and new baby---Does anyone know about fridges???? I don't want to get anyone sick, and am going to need ice!

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 8:46 PM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Food & Drink

• My husband is an HVAC technician, he does refrigeration. He says it's better for your freezer to be full. When all of the food is frozen, the freezer doesn't have to work quite as hard to keep it frozen. UNLESS, you so overloaded it that the doors didn't close properly. It sounds like there is something wrong with your fridge. I'm afraid you probably need to have someone come out and look at it, or get a new fridge. Stop opening the door, and keep all of the frozen food in there. Make sure the temperature stays down, or you will have spoiled food. It seems like these things always happen at the worst times!! Good luck.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 9:40 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Take a temperature reading of the freezer empty, if it is 20 degrees or colder then put everything back into it, and do not open it until time to pull food out, the items should stay frozen for at least 24 hours unless your home gets hot, and you open the freezer letting heat into it. I would leave as much food outside in the snow as long as you can to keep it cold. Your stuff will be fine until tomorrow, monday you can call a repair guy or go get a new fridge if you need to. It sounds as those the motor and thermostat are malfunctioning and often times those are costly to repair and you are better off getting a new or even used fridge to replace it.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:16 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Ummm...where's, or what's, part 1 of the question? Just wondering.
    Anonymous

• Hi OP here first question was when it wasn't working, I took all of the food out and now it is,,,, I googled and it said my coils might be dirty but there are not any that I can see! I am in a panic because I am having a party 2 morrow and aside from the frozen food I kind of need to keep everything else cold,,,,potato salad, drinks etc... I was hoping someone knew or had this happen!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:03 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I sent you a pm with my husband's answer. Good luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:16 PM on Feb. 13, 2010