How to get my DD started in modeling and acting

ok i have an 11 year old daughter who i really think has a LOT of potential. She is beautiful and tall and loves to be on stage and is very confident. I really want to help her out. I took her to a modeling auditon on friday and it was a total scam! it was called american mall model search but she did really good up on the runway. we are on a tight budjet as i am a single mom with her and an 8 month old. Please Help! I think she can go far! she does not need an agent because i can find her jobs without having to pay. Please help!!!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• You will have to pay for acting lessons for sure, it's not very common that they get discovered off of nothing. She needs to be involved in acting, theatre, music and the people around it. You will have to pay money. It's lots of money and time, and hard work. Those aren't all scams. Even auditions for the disney channel will ask you to enroll your child in acting classes. Seen it soooo many times. I actually know a kid who was on Nickelodeon while he was growing up, I watched him grow up and all his mom did. It doesn't just happen, hard work, hard work, and lots of time.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:52 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Se has had acting and modeling lessons so thats a good start!
    missjamie100

Answer by missjamie100 at 8:55 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• More more and more. Networking is so important. The more you do the more you meet, the higher likelyhood of something happening.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:57 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Yeah, most of those things are scams. I would try taking her to Glamour Shots and make a portfolio (can be expensive, but worth it in the end) Then send her portfolio to modeling agencies, through the mail and on the internet. I would definitely send her portfolio to fordmodels.com. They are very well-known and good at what they do. Also, drop it off at local modeling agencies in your town. If she has potential, someone will call you. No matter where you go, 9 times out of 10, an agency is going to want a portfolio. You can also ask Glamour Shots if they know of anyone that you can contact. Hope this helps.
    MiCaHsMoMmY1206

Answer by MiCaHsMoMmY1206 at 9:42 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Here's what I hear: "I think she has potential" "I'm a single mom and on a budget." Not once did you say this is your daughter's passion or desire. You are wanting to throw her into the very grown up world of acting and modeling to benefit yourself. This is not in your daughter's best interest. You just be a mom and let her just be a girl.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• School plays and community theater are a good place to start. She can develop her skills there. That is realistic.

However, it sounds like you want her to start a professional career. That is unrealistic.
    Anonymous

• first anon this is her dream she has been asking me to do this for years she really loves being on stage!!!! she just loves it so much and i want to do everything to hel her(this is the asker)
    Anonymous

• My daughter is six years old and has been modeling since she was 2 1/2 years old. All you need to do is find & submit to all of the talent agencies in your city, go on their websites to find out the submission requirements for her age group & then move forward. I didn't pay for anything until she was signed with an agent and it was for a comp card only, which ranges from $300-600, depending on the photographer. My daughter just took her first acting class this past fall that we paid for. If your daughter wants to do it then it's worth it. It's good money for college. Please let me know if you have any questions. Good luck!
    demika

Answer by demika at 12:44 AM on Jun. 17, 2010