Question to non Christians about what makes a Christians hypocrite

A man who had recently been arrested for dealing cocaine came to our highschool and talked against drugs. Through a serious of coincidence I would meet up with him about 15 years later after his release from prison.

He continued to preach against drugs and also about keeping family close even though he had alienated his family while dealing. He always believed in God but got closer to God and now preaches about living a pure life. He obviously didn't lead a pure life.

I am wondering if it makes him a hypocrite in the eyes of non Christians because this man did one sin and now speaks out against it.

Christians you are more than welcome to answer as well, I am just trying to get a grasp on what makes a hypocrite in the eyes of those who are not Christian.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• What makes some Christians a hypocrite? The fact that they judge others when it clearly states in the bible that you shouldn't judge others.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:28 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• In order to be a hypocrite you have to "preach" against something that you CURRENTLY DO yourself (ie a parent who tells their kids not to drink or smoke yet they currently drink and smoke).

He no longer does drugs and he regrets his mistakes. Since he is a Christian, that makes him a reformed sinner.
    Mrs.Mack.

Answer by Mrs.Mack. at 9:29 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• legalmommy please stick to the topic and the bible actually does say we are to judge rightously please refer to earlier questions.
    Anonymous

• Calling someone a hypocrite isn't "name calling" or passing judgement unless they actually AREN'T a hypocrite...otherwise it's just stating facts.

It's like calling someone homosexual...if they ARE a homosexual then it isn't "name calling" or passing judgement. It's just stating facts.
    Mrs.Mack.

Answer by Mrs.Mack. at 9:33 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Wait a minute, what makes someone a "Christian's hypocrite?" Why do you assume that Christians would find that man to be a hypocrite? There are christian and non christian people that would find him to be a hypocrite. I don't but I'm sure some would.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:34 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• please don't turn this into a homosexual post. please?
    Anonymous

• Hes not a hypocrite at all, just someone speaking from experience, just as a father that smokes telling his son not to smoke, while some may say that he is a hypocrite, hes not, he is merely trying to warn the son of the addiction he is facing head on. A Hypocrite would be if that man continued using drugs and never tried to get help from them and then tried teaching on living a pure life...It's all in your motives...
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 9:35 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Why do you assume that Christians would find that man to be a hypocrite?

I didn't assume anything I asked a question. Never did I say Christians will find him a hypocrite. In fact, I , a Christian, do not find him a hypocrite. He no longer does drugs and speaks out from his experience. In fact, I would understand if he told a little brother or sister not to deal or do drugs because his life is out of control.
    Anonymous

• Mrs. Mack, Being a homosexual isn't a bad thing. Being called a hypocrite is meant as a negative term towards someone that isn't practicing what they preach. Calling someone a hypocrite is passing judgment on that person because if you weren't passing judgment, you wouldn't call them anything.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:37 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I agree with you cuteandcurvy. Can I ask if you are Christian or not?
    Anonymous