Need help from those of you who believe in a God or are Christians

I honestly don't know what to do. When I met my DH and married him (we've been together for a total of 10 years) he believe in the Bible and God. I've since come to question what exactly I believe in reference to God and the Bible, but I definitely believe in God. He's given us so much, and he answered so many of my prayers. Anyway, my question regards my DH. He now says he doesn't believe in God. He changed his mind apparently. He even kind smirks and mocks me when I talk about it. I don't know what to do because I want to share my life with someone who has the same beliefs we both originally had. I love him to death, but this even changes what we'll teach our children. I just don't know how to feel. I obviously can't force him to believe in God, and he's so rational and everything has to be logical or else he says it doesn't exist. Arggg...any advice or ways to cope with this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I recently asked a question on a very similar topic as your question.If you go back int he answers in this section you can probably read some of the answers and maybe someone will have some advice. I'm honestly not sure what to tell you. I mean...definitely don't change what YOU believe in just because he did. Talk to him about how you feel, for sure. Best of luck!
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 9:29 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• It's a hard road, the only thing I can tell you is to come to a decision on what you believe and stand firm on it, and know that your religious choice isn't why you fell inlove or married him, it may have played a small part in things,but over all it's not the most important. Also when you make your decision let him know that this is YOUR decision and what YOU believe and that he is free to choose what he believes as well and make it clear that mockery of your decision can be hurtful..As far as teaching your children, hubby and I have decided that since I'm spiritual and hes really not, that they can pretty much learn what I believe, and once they get older it's up to them to decide....
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 9:32 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• My husband is similar and it caused us lots of problems. In hindsight he did not like going to any religion's church or temple. I offered more than once to attend his church he grew up in and he did not want to. Op what's your husband's family's approach to religion? My husband's family was the same as his - didn't see the use of going when time could be spent sleeping in from a very busy week or starting chores early.

Is your husband respectful in other ways -helpful to you and compassionate in illness, not feeling good? Does he stop w/you, or help unload car, watch tv, movies w/ you? go for walks and vacation with you? attentive to kids? If so then he's become cynical likely more so cuz of the general way of the world - it is hard to believe for some people in the goodnes of a God like being who allows the evils in this world to exist.

If in other ways he's decent respectful 2u &others, just let it ride.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:37 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I think that you and your dh need to sit and talk... When my dh and I married, we both practiced the same religion, but I was searching... since then (now going on 20yrs) I am now a Wiccan and he is a non practicing Christian...
    Truth be told we did have our outs about this in the begining, he thought that he didn't know the real me bc I could actually think about changing out of mainstream religion, but we talked and I told him this is me as what you believe in is you and we treat ea other with respect and have learned to agree to disagree...lol..
    As for our grandson whom we are raising, he is being taught that the world is a diverse place and that not everyone believes the same and don't believe at all and that is ALL ok....
    Talk to your dh, explain to him if this is how he feels then that is fine, but to respect your beliefs as well as you his.

I hope it works out well for you and yours
    Brightest Blessings
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:37 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• If you believe in God (like I do) then you believe there is a Devil (like I do). I think that our happiness is always attacked by something dark like that...I believe that you should pray for your family. (and it's not impolite to ask for prayers to make your family strong again).
    Anonymous

• pray and wait if he changed his mind once then he may turn back to god.
    mom2snsb

Answer by mom2snsb at 11:33 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• He can question God that is up to him, but I would tell him to stop mocking me. Demand that he treat you and better, and don't mock him when he says he doesn't believe in God. Regardless of what your individual beliefs are right now you need to treat each other with love and kindness.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:08 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• 10-12 yrs into my marriage my husband did the same thing and also mocked me. Sadly he hates it so much he has chosen to divorce me after 22 yrs of marriage. Yes I put up with the verbal stuff for the last 12 yrs . My suggestion to you is this. Do not try to change him. That is not your job. Pray for him, bless him, forgive him and allow God to do the rest. Most of all never ever let go of your faith in God. It will be worth it. I pray everything works out for you.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 6:23 AM on Feb. 14, 2010