noisy upstairs neigbor...

Is there anything I can do? He has his music turned up and the bass is thumping. I have a lil one trying to go to sleep.
I think the local disturbance law is for 11 pm and after. But this is rediculous. My son can't go to sleep because of it.
I haven't lived in an apartment for many years before now, so I am not use to this.
Thanks!

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 9:35 PM on Feb. 13, 2010 in About CafeMom

• Try calling your manager and complaining.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 9:37 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I had that problem once. There were three college jocks that lived upstairs. My baby was less than a year old too. I think they just didn't realize how loud they were being. There were several times I ran up the stairs and beat on their door when they woke up my baby. I would just go up and tell them it is too loud that your baby is sleeping.
    The plus side of your baby learning to sleep with the noise is that he/she will be less likely to wake up and any little sound. My oldest got used to sleeping through the noise and now is a great sleeper that is not sensitive to noise while sleeping.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:46 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I sometimes deaL WITH THIS SAME ISSUE because I live in an apartment/townhome complex. I usually have to deal with my downstairs neighbor throwing loud parties on saturday nights. I don't know what time it is where you live, if it is still going on at 11:01 I would call. (After asking nicely for them to quiet down and them not, I became the Bi*ch and yelled at the ppl outside who were yelling and cursing, I said how would you like it if I came over to your house and screamed F*ck F*ck F*ck outside your baby's window when she was trying to sleep, cuz that's basically what they were doing (being drunk and loud) and they quieted down... a lil) but then they tore down my front door decorations later that night.... so it'd be wise not to say anything to your neighbor. Just call the cops and/or landlord when it reaches 11.
    Anonymous

• oh gosh and its saturday night too - so many people just kick back and relax then. Maybe ask him to lower his bass so things won't be so heartthumping for lo. You certainly have a right to be upset though.

Maybe too see if you can work out a time with him for loud vs. some quiet times - if u know in advance he's partying there whatever would you put lo to bed in a room not directly under his stereo or drums? Maybe gently put on baby a small headset to cushion the volume.

I remember being in your situation. One night the people above me came in so noisy again - I opened my window and yelled out Please SICK KIDS Quiet - other neighbors ended up calling out and joining me!!!! it was funny!!!!!!

Can you and upstairs neighbors switch apts? Having the music under you might work out better.

If upstairs neighbors are nice except for this pretty much, maybe speak directly w/them? Hope things get better!!!!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:48 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• First ask him to keep it down, maybe its as simple as he doesnt realize there is someone living below him, then go to the manager, or next the owner. Finally if its 9 or 10 pm call the non-emergency line of the police. When I lived in my apt the people in the next building over would be so loud they would wake me at 3 am with there music and I would call the police after a few nights of that they stopped. It may be scary to call the police but as long as you call the non-emergency line and explain whats happening they'll help.
    ArmyWife112908

Answer by ArmyWife112908 at 9:49 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Maybe Im just chicken, but I'm nervous to go upstairs and say something. I don't know the people up there, but I know a big guy lives there. I live alone with my son, and just don't want to end up with probs because I went upstars....
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:53 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• You really think he would beat up a woman? Probably not... I would say it will make him much madder if you call the property mngnt/cops on him instead of just going up there.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:03 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Ok I worked up my nerve and with my phone in hand I went upstairs. He was nice about it and siad he would keep it down. Let hope he does.
    Thanks ladies!
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:03 PM on Feb. 13, 2010