i have a 3 year old son, almost 4 and he has these terrible, i mean screaming, kicking, yelling, etc. what is the best discipline for this behavior?

onefiestymama

Asked by onefiestymama at 9:43 PM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Honestly the best method for that is to IGNORE them! I have 3 boys and have been through early childhood education and from everything I know, was taught, read or experienced ignoring is the only thing that is going to stop it. If you show him attention during those fits you are showing him that those terrible fits are effected (whether hes getting good or bad attention). Its hard but you just need to walk away and read or clean or go about your daily activities and when hes quite and calm anough you can calmly say "when your done we can talk about whats upsetting you" and then talk it out. Good LUCK! I know its hard!!!
    tracie_alane

Answer by tracie_alane at 9:50 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I agree! I actually used to do this as a child and my mom would make a point to step over me and go continue what she was doing. It took a few times but eventually I stopped and to this day I still haven't done it again, lol. I have to do this with my almost 3 year old and we've been doing it for some time, but the fits are fewer and less extreme. They want the attention and they don't care if it's neg. attention. Ignoring is definately best IMO.
    Anonymous

• Well, my son went thu that, he actually would hit and kick me. I know they say don't but the only thing I could do was spank him. Every time he hit me I spanked his butt...eventually we got thru it (about two months of consistency). BUT now we're back at it 4 years later =( Now its a whole new ball game because he's as big as me at 8 and consistency is coming from new punishments. I take things away and he has to EARN them back by being kind or helpful for so many days. It is a long haul but we are starting to see the end. Good luck and if you get any new ideas PLEASE let me know too!
    EmMaldonado

Answer by EmMaldonado at 1:18 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• My eldest tried that about that age, not just screaming & kicking, but throwing things etc. I just grabbed her clothes and all and stuck her in the cold shower, cooled her down literally. Once she had calmed down, a matter of seconds, took her out dried her off and explained that if she couldn't control herself and cool herself down I would have to do it for her. She tried it 3 times, and got the point! Lasted all of a week. Might sound mean to some, but that fact is that in life, as an older child or adult, people aren't just going to wait around for you to learn self control, and I figured it was a harmless, non spanking solution that was still shocking enough that she got the point.
    Panditacjp

Answer by Panditacjp at 2:29 PM on Feb. 14, 2010