16 weeks pregnant and worried about the birth defects test still and feeling the baby move alot!

so i got a call from my doctor the other day and he told me that the birth defects test came back positive and that im at HIGH risk. hes supposed to be calling me back soon with another appointment with another doctor to have an ultrasound done.. he didnt tell me how high my risk were. i got tested for every birth defect i think. im scared because im 20 years old and idk how i can raise a child with special needs because im soo young. my mom told me that my aunt and my cousin were tested positive for birth defects and everything and they had to have an ultrasound done and everything eles and turns out that everything was fine. could i be at risk because its in my blood? or could i be further along? or could i be not as far along as i thought? what could be wrong?
i dont do drugs and i stoped smoking once i found out i was pregnant and i take my prental vitamins every day!!! i never skip a day and i try to eat healthy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:06 PM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• mine came back pos, did genetic counseling and level 2 ultrasound, he was FINE! don't take those tests too seriously they are often false pos.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:07 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• First, congratulations on being pregnant! :)
    You're going to be ok. Just have to be think that everything is going to be alright. Believe in your mom's words. She knows the family history better than the doctor does.
    And if something does come out of these tests, you will still love your baby anyway. God doesn't give us more than we can handle. I believe that.
    Hope that helps, and that was the kind of words you were looking for. :)
    Kat
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 10:10 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• ALLOT of those tests are inaccurate. There is a high chance that the preliminary tests will give you false results...my midwife told me that. She said that they often create allot of unnecessary anxiety.
    Mrs.Mack.

Answer by Mrs.Mack. at 10:12 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• those tests are horrible. most people who get in the 'high risk' category end up having no issues at all. mostly they just make you worry. i decided not to do those tests. i'm sorry you are having to go through this now, all the worry. and i really hope everything is ok. if your baby does have special needs, you will find the strength and energy to take care of everything. but i think it's unlikely =)

the movement i think is nothing to worry about. in some pregnancies, moms can feel the movements early, in some they don't feel them until later
    Anonymous

• Like the girls above have said, those tests come back with false positives all the time. Have you had any ultrasounds yet? My sister had one of her tests come back positive and...I don't want to freak you out but, it turned out her levels were high because she was having twins. Any multiples in your family?

Don't panic hun....I'm sure it's nothing negative. You'll handle whatever comes. Welcome to being a mommy!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:27 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• even if all the bad stuff comes true. it will be ok. that little angel in there has such a sweet spirit that no matter what challenges that you will face with the baby it will be ok. you dont know your own stregnth until you are fourced to. you are already concerend and in love with this baby and nothing will change that.
    KJ_on

Answer by KJ_on at 11:37 AM on Feb. 15, 2010