Does this change your opinion of Sheriff Arpio?

federal judge has found grounds for sanctioning an Arizona sheriff's office for its acknowledged destruction of records in a lawsuit that accuses deputies of racially profiling countless Hispanics in immigration patrols.

U.S. District Judge Murray Snow held off on imposing the sanctions against the office of Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio in the Friday ruling, but indicted he would do so at a later date once related issues were ironed out.

Since early 2008, Arpaio has run 13 immigration and crimes sweeps consisting of deputies and posse volunteers who flood an area of a city — in some cases heavily Latino areas — to seek out traffic violators and arrest other offenders.
Some sheriff's officials have acknowledged deleting their e-mails about the patrols and throwing away and shredding officers' records of traffic stops made during the sweeps.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_immigration_sweeps

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Some sheriff's officials have acknowledged deleting their e-mails about the patrols and throwing away and shredding officers' records of traffic stops made during the sweeps.

Snow said the sheriff's office was negligent for not holding onto the documents and that the failure to preserve them is enough to justify sanctions. The judge asked plaintiff's attorneys to suggest unspecified "adverse inferences" that could be drawn from the destruction of officers' records of traffic stops made during the sweeps.

Anonymous

• No, I didn't need this to tell me what is already obvious.....He's a power trippin sherriff who uses racial profiling

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:33 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• I think it is just sad that various officials want to STOP the man from doing his job, they don't want him to arrest people who break the LAW. Illegals are a huge drain on our resources, but amazingly people have no problem with the fact that they are here illegally, which means against the law, and therefore should be arrested and sent back to where they came from.

I can't really comment about the article, as there was not a whole lot of info there. But the Sheriff has my support. I approve of the way he runs his jail, and wish that more sheriffs followed his lead.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 10:45 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• No it doesnt change my opinion. He was scum before and he's scum now. He disgraces the badge he wears.

SRiveroC

Answer by SRiveroC at 11:03 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• No. Would Sarah Palin pulling a crate full of drowning puppies out of a river and personally giving each one CPR change your opinion of her?
    Anonymous

• Nope, doesn't change my opinion that he is cracking the whip on the illegal immigration in his area. It's not that big of a deal to me to question someone a little more that speaks absolutely no English and just ran a stop sign ;) If they haven't done anything wrong they wouldn't care. I used to get pulled over every morning when I would run, because I looked too young to be out at 4 am running. I knew I wasn't doing anything wrong so it never bothered me to stop and hand a cop my ID.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 11:19 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Nope, doesn't change my opinion that he is cracking the whip on the illegal immigration in his area. It's not that big of a deal to me to question someone a little more that speaks absolutely no English and just ran a stop sign ;)

Even though it is unconstitutional?
    Anonymous

• Apparently some people are confusing "arresting illegals" with "it's ok to break the law too, as long as you get rid of the illegals."
    That is what we call a double standard. That sheriff needs to be sitting next to Big Bubba and his homeboys in the prison lunchroom. He's no better, and actually much worse than the criminals he's after.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:45 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• Even though it is unconstitutional?
    _____
    Adarand Constructors v. Pena 1995
    Race may be included as one factor in profiling only if, 3 certain criteria are met. First, the addition of an ethnic factor must significantly improve the effectiveness of the profile in ferreting out the guilty. Second, there must be reasonable suspicion to believe that a meaningful portion of the profiled ethnic class is guilty. Third, the benefit of including ethnicity must exceed its cost ... Again, evidence rather than conjecture must control . Even those "profiled" are still free to NOT answer and leave when ever desired.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 12:00 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I bet the people living in the areas where he does those sweeps are grateful...his proactive approach would definitely keep the criminals and illegals he is after OUT of their neighbourhoods.

I strongly believe people are afforded WAY too many "rights". You don't have the "right" to be a criminal. If you don't like that, leave. Oh how awful.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:23 AM on Feb. 14, 2010