Need help understanding Pagen?

My 16 year old daughter, who is living with her dad, just called and asked me if I would be mad if she studied Pagen? I don't know enough about to understand it. I figure asking someone personally they could give me some insight? Is this something I should be concerned with?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:32 PM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's pagan, not pagen, and it's just a name for thousands of religions that aren't bible based. It's nothing to be concerned about, but you haven't really given enough info to help tell you what she's studying. It could be anything from Hellenism (traditional Greek religion) to Native American shamanism like Iroquois or Sioux. There's nothing harmful about it.
    Anonymous

• No I wouldn't be concerned, she is at an age where she is exploring and asking a lot of questions,  this is normal and healthy.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:01 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I beg to differ. I am one of the "pagans". As a mother you have EVERY right to be concerned about something your 16 year old is exploring. The first reply is correct. "Pagan" is an umbrella term for alot of different beliefs that may or may not be earth based. Someone that isn't a Christian, Jew or Muslim. Thou there are pagans that pratice christianity as well. The most commonly known pagan practice is "wicca".

Do you have a good relationship with your daughter and her father? I would sit down with them and find out exactly what is going on. She is old enough to want to explore. At this age you need to be careful how you approach this or she may not be open to you. Good luck momma :)
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 7:39 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• As a pagan, I see no reason why you would need to be concerned besides the simple fact that you want to know what your child is doing. There is no harm to any mainstream Pagan religion and you may even want to get yourself some reading materials to go with your daughters studies... It will be easier to understand if you do it together. I would suggest that you check out sites like www.PagansPath.com, http://paganwiccan.about.com/, or http://blessedbe.sugarbane.com/. These sites are all devoted to giving accurate information about Pagan religions. And Pagans Path even has a section for parents who's kids are studying...

If you have any direct questions about beliefs or practices (or anything else for that matter) feel free to message me. I am always willing to help anyone to understand my beliefs and the beliefs of my fellow Pagan!

Many Blessings!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:41 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• It's true that Paganism is a broad term that technically covers anything that didn't come from Abraham's lineage (Islam, Judaism, Christianity). But in general you don't hear a Buddhist claim to be Pagan. In most instances if you hear someone claim to be Pagan they are a member of some branch of an earth based religion or of a reconstructionist religion based on the beliefs of a PreChristian belief system. The largest "organized" religions that fall under in to that category are Wicca, Druid (Celtic) & Asatru (Norse). There are many other Paths held within that category, but most are much much smaller in size including those mentioned by Anon... Chances are she is interested in Wicca, or some form of it. Many Eclectic Pagans, like myself pull a little of out beliefs from each path or religion we encounter in the belief that all are right and none are perfect.

cont...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:04 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Also the "Idiot's Guide" and "for Dummies" books are good for basics.

And, no, there's nothing to be concerned about.
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:11 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• However a central belief for many is "harm none" or some form of that. And the belief in Karma or that what we do returns is generally high on the list of beliefs as well. So, it is because of this belief that we strive to be good people, care for the earth and each other as best we can. Generally you will find that most traditions and practices aren't far from what you already know, they simply center around the earth, sun, moon & all other aspects of nature.

In addition to aspects of nature. Ideals surrounding community, family and ancestry (Personal, Religiously & Nationally) tend to be honored and attempted to be upheld. Please understand these are simply generalizations and not every pagan falls under these beliefs, traditions or practices. However, hopefully, this gives you a better idea what is going on with your daughter, even if it's not pin point.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:11 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• "Also the "Idiot's Guide" and "for Dummies" books are good for basics."

The best I have seen is The Everything Paganism Book. It covers everything you'll need to understand any number of paths.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:12 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• i know there is a book called When Someone You Love Is Wiccan: A Guide to Witchcraft and Paganism for Concerned Friends, Nervous Parents, and Curious CO-Workers by Carl McColman. the book explains Pagan spirituality to non-Pagans in a balanced, accessible way, while acknowledging the natural anxiety many of them may feel when confronted by a son, daughter, sibling, friend, or co-worker who suddenly proclaims that they are a Witch (or wiccan/pagan) from what i've heard about it this book offers an objective, honest introduction to the pagan/wicca religion, while providing comfort to worried readers. and there is a website called http://www.proudtobepagan.com/ that i think might be helpful to you.
    flower_angel

Answer by flower_angel at 11:29 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• First I disagree with anyone saying you shouldn't be concerned. That being said I'm a Wiccan. If my daughter asked me about converting to ANYTHING I wasn't familiar with (which includes branches of Christianity and Judaism) I would be concerned. You must have a good relationship with your daughter because she trusted your willingness to listen to her and her reasons. Also many branches of Paganism (I can really only speak for Wiccans with most accuracy) are about the environment and our relationship it it and each other. It's about being a part of the universe in anyway you can as long as you don't cause harm to others. There are rumors aboutt he excessive use of alcohol, while it is part of some celebrations it's used like how it is in some churches where you get the sip of wine and the wafery thing. Most times there is bread or cresent cakes which are super yummy! Check out Scott Cunningham books he's pretty good.
    dharmas_mommy

Answer by dharmas_mommy at 4:29 PM on Feb. 15, 2010