Fever

My DS is 13 months and has a fever out of no where. He has a little runny nose and a mild cough. Yesterday [2/12] he was fine, but today, all he wanted to do was sleep! On and off all day he would sleep. I finally noticed around 5-6 he felt really hot, so I took his temperature and it was 100.2*F underarm. We gave him tylenol and it didnt reduce the temperature. I just took his temperature here about 30 minutes ago at 11pm. It was 101.6*F underarm. Other than his slight runny nose, mild cough, and fatigue he has been pretty much normal. He has been cranky the last week or so, but I just wrote it off to teething because he's cutting two top molars. Although today, he didn't want to play, he wanted to be with me or my DH.
CONTINUED....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:51 PM on Feb. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When DH woke up, DS seemed happier. Although, I had just given him his tylenol. So, coincidence?

To my question(s), at what temperature do I need to contact his doctor/take to ER? He hasn't really drank much or ate much today. I did make sure to give him some pedialyte today because I'm afraid he'll dehydrate. I'm just not sure what I need to do. :-/ He's never really been mysteriously sick. He's had a couple colds, but otherwise that's all he's had. Should I just make a dr. appointment if his fever continues or what? I'm sorry that I'm so clueless. Any information is great.
    Anonymous

• I call the dr when a fever reaches 104 or won't come down with medicine. This is what all our drs tell us to do.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 11:59 PM on Feb. 13, 2010

• my daughters pedi told me that he would rather a parent bring in a child that had a low grade fever ( which is what you are talking about) but was acting different was tired, not eating well no energy etc than a parent bring in a child with a temp of 102 and acting completely normal.
    i asked him when i should bring my dd if she has a temp and thats what he told me. its more about how they are acting than their fever temperature because children tend to run higher temp than we as adults do.

So moral of the story....lol if you feel there is something wrong take your child in regardless of his/her temperature.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:02 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• You can try a tepid bath (basically room temp/luke warm NOT COLD) and that should cool him off, or place cool towels on his back and head. Tylenol every 4 hours and keep him hydrated. Are you using a thermometer that is specific to underarm? If not, make sure you add a degree to the reading.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:02 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• momnbabygirl has an excellent point- if your child is acting differently, especially lethargic, than it's best to at least call the dr. I always call unless it's a clear cut emergancy, because 9/10 times the dr will just tell you to stay home and tell you how to treat the child without exposing them to the ER.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 12:04 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• OP.

Thank you MomNbabyGirl009. I will probably call his pedi if this continues during the morning tomorrow.

And mnt_2_b_mommy thanks for your advice. I did give him a luke warm bath tonight before bed and it didn't seem to help. The thermometer I am using is specific to underarm. You can change the setting to mouth, underarm, or rectal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• :) your welcome. fyi my daughter just recently had similar symptoms, shes just getting over them and i took her to urgent care ( her pedi was packed til like 3 days later) and she turned out having bronchialitis and an ear infection :( the bronchi was contagious and her dad and i both got it :(
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 12:08 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• OP.

Oh no! That must be awful! :[ I'm glad she's getting over it. I hope you and her dad are well! I also hope that's not what my DS has!! :[ That would be terrible. Feel better soon!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• when my littleo ne had her 1st fever i called the doc and they told me she had to have the fever for 3 days, so after the 3 days i made her an app and it turned out to be an ear infection. make him an app anyway
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:51 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I wouldn't worry much about it. It's normal when sick to sleep more and want to cuddle more and frequently viruses in childhood cause fevers.... a temp of 101.6 isn't very high and not worrisome.
    Usually with a virus fever's can last 4-5 days if the fevers are greater than 101 for a week then i would bring him in.
    Fever's themselves are nothing to worry about... a child can easily have a temp of 105-106 (I've even seen a temp of 107 before.. I would go in if it's over 105)
    The things to watch for are.... dehydration... if your child is drinking enough and still having wet diapers then they are fine... if they go more than 10 hours without being wet, then call your doctor. If your child starts having trouble breathing...breathing more than 50 times a minute, skin pulling in on the neck or between his ribs you need to go to an ER. And lastly if your child is very lethargic...different than just being tired from being sick
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:44 AM on Feb. 14, 2010