an orange sized firm ball in my friend's left breast. it is painful and gets swollen when she lays on it or something. what is it?

I put it in this category because it will probably get more exposure.

I'm super worried about her and scared for her health. She said she first noticed it 5 years ago, it was very small. She has been too scared to go to the hospital and finally agreed to go on monday with me. I really hope she doesn't back out. The obvious thing that comes to mind is breast cancer, could this be it? If anyone has had this or knows someone please tell me if signs point to cancer. Thanks you

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:59 AM on Feb. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• usually breast cancer doesnt hurt ( not always though )

I have had a "lump" in my breast for about 4 years now...its like the size of a dime...and it hurts sometiems as well...I cannot remember what it is called but its basically harmless ...
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 2:04 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• also if it is breast cancer...I dont think the lump would swell or change size like that ( but im not a professional so I dont know)

but I hope everything turns out good for your friend !
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 2:05 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I dated a single dad whose wife had died of breast cancer. This is what he told me had happened

She was pregnant with their second baby and a lump in her breast kept growing and would become more and more painful. the Dr. said it was just the pregnancy. Well by the end of the pregnancy her breat was very large and in much pain.
    She died a few months later, full blown breast cancer, nothing could be done.
    So he had a dying wife, a newborn and a toddler.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003155.htm

glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 2:12 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Most lumps in breasts are not cancer. It could be a cyst or some type of infection. Its best to get it checked so that she can get that taken cared of.
    Anonymous

• 5 years? Yikes that isn't good. Why on earth didn't she have it checked??
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 2:19 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I get the fear involved but she stands a better chance of survival if she gets it looked at now than if she keeps putting it off (if it's cancer I mean). I hope it isn't serious but MAKE her go get checked.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 2:21 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• maybe it is a cyst or something, but it maybe something more serious, but she will never know if she doesnt get it looked at!
    MamaSusieQ045

Answer by MamaSusieQ045 at 3:22 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Wow! I wish I knew and could Help! I don't know! But I have the size of an Egg on my left breast underneath, kinda. It hurts too and is getting Bigger! Stress, Being jobless and hopeless has me down! If you find out with her. Could you please post it here? I'd Love to know! Sending her Love & Care!! Hope it works out! I've tried to find out what it is.. But I haven't yet. I don't have insurance! I didn't have the joy of knowing my Mother. The RN from the hospital I was born in lied to me and kept me! The RN I found Dead when I was 13. I located my Bio mom when I was 19. She was 46 & Dying from breast Cancer! I don't know. But I wish your Friend the Best! Hugs of strength & care to her! And for you to take her! I don't have friends as nice as you to do that for me! Not nearby. Only here! I don't want to tell my DD's. They have Stress, issues and are laid off or jobless. Its Bad all the way around!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:04 AM on Feb. 14, 2010