Zyrtec - how drowsy is "some drowsiness"?

Like on a scale of zero to NyQuil... I usually use a different med, but the symptoms are killing me and I have a paper to finish writing.

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 2:52 AM on Feb. 14, 2010 in Health

• Well the first few times I ever took Zyrtec I took it at night and never had an issue. With that said I then took it again recently for a few days and I was miserable. It was making me drowsy like benadryl and super cranky. The difference was this time I was not getting a good nights rest due to having a baby so maybe that was why.

I think it takes 2 hours ( something like that) for the relief to appear though. Depending on your symptoms maybe a nice steamy shower and then get on some warm pj's to write your paper might help. Along with some warm tea.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:36 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I take it and I got used to it after a few days. For me benadryl made me way sleepier. I usually take it like two hours before bedtime just to be on the safe side. During the day it dosen't knock me out but at night it dose let me rest and not have the runny nose and itchy eyes and even my ears too. Just all depends on your body. 

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:43 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I have never had an issue with it I take it in the morning. It does really depend on the person taking the pill.
    AirForceMom1987

Answer by AirForceMom1987 at 10:22 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I can't tank anything with an antihistime in it without getting zombiefied, benedryl actually knocks me out longer then nyquil, zyrtec make me sleepy but not making me wanna pass out, I take a claritin in the morning and I'm fine all day
    CuteandCurvy

Answer by CuteandCurvy at 12:14 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Well I learned - for me it's not so much overpowering drowsiness, but once I went to bed I was out for 12 hrs.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:27 PM on Feb. 14, 2010