1 second later I was going to start REAALY freaking out...

Like most moms I check on my kids throughout the night to make sure they're covered up not contorted like babies are in their sleep. Well when I did a check in tonight I put my hand on DD's back...and it wasn't moving... I called her name a few times, progressively getting louder. She didn't respond or move at al....I'm pretty sure my heart ceased to beat at this point. I shook her leg a little leg and said her name again...All of these horrible things we've all seen and heard on TV ran through my mind....THANK GOD SHE MOVED!! I guess she was just in a deep sleep but geez...my hands are still shaking....Anyone a neurotic bed checker like I am? Or am I a total whacko?

Allergic2Stupid

Asked by Allergic2Stupid at 4:39 AM on Feb. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wow how scary! I am so glad she is Okay.

I am so a neurotic bed checker and my DS is almost 8 weeks. When he sleeps in his bassinet I am up about every 30-45 minutes checking on him. He is up at least 2 times a night so I am usually on the couch so my DH isn't woke up by his noisy sucking sounds.

As far as an age to stop looking in on them at night I know my mom checked on us right before she went to bed till the day we turned 6 yrs of age. (she had 8 children), I know that it is a different age for each momma. Me probably the day he moves out of the house. :)

amygraves21

Answer by amygraves21 at 5:46 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• And second question...is there an age where you just stop looking in on them at night?
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 4:45 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Thank you. I think I'm gonna be on the same page as you and never be able to stop lol
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 5:56 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• This is NOT to Worry you but I am going to make a suggestion and its one that the nurse in the NICU told me before my DS was discharged to come home.

The nurse said when keeping an eye on my DS at night IF I we have a night where this exact thing or something similar were to happen to make note of date and time and if the room was chilly or to warm so I can remember to tell the DR if it happens more than once so they can rule out sleep apnea.

Again Just a suggestion, but I think your right probably just gonna be a deep sleeper as she grows up. hugs

amygraves21

Answer by amygraves21 at 6:13 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Yep checked them all the time, My Mum is worse, she stays with us when we have a baby (4 of them) and at night she creeps in to the bedroom to check on the grandbaby and us - in the end we'd let her take the baby in her room so she could check all she liked and just wake us when the baby was actually stirring - LMAO think she'll still be checking when she's in in the ground!
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 6:19 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• i do that all the time still do and my little one sleeps with me and hubby.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:44 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I can't go to bed without checking on my son and I don't usualy go to bed til midnight or later. My husband goes to bed at 9 (works at 4 am) and he checks on him when he goes to bed (most the time I check too), then I do again later. I can't not do it. I go nuts.
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 10:56 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I have a 2 1/2 year old. I still check on him. I usually just check to make sure his chest is rising and falling and his face isn't buried in toys and blankets.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• No, but that's because I have a motion sensor monitor under her mattress. It's sensitive enough to detect the breathing motion and if it doesn't detect any motion for 20 seconds, it sounds an alarm. The couple times the alarm went off, it was because she had smooshed herself into one end of the crib, but I'd rather have a false alarm. I can sleep easy at night and not habitually check on her when the sensor is on. I highly recommend it!
    Heather2001

Answer by Heather2001 at 8:08 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I check on my kids a few times. If I pass their room I peek in. They are 22mos, 5, and 6. I checked on them more as infants but still check frequently!
    Anonymous