Anyone have a special needs child and have difficulty relating to moms of "normal" children?

It's been really hard making new friends and trying to be part of play dates and family activities. It has felt awkward and uncomfortable at times. People mean well but just don't understand what it's like. Children are really good with my child at school but it's a different story outside of it. I feel really bad because she is always with just us parents and longs to play with other children.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 AM on Feb. 14, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• you have to do what you feel is right for your child.Have you told your child's teacher and asked for advice on things you could do to handle things.? Maybe that would help. I pray for you because I too have a special needs child or so he was in preschool.He is now 13 and I love him so much! Good luck and God Bless!
    Momoftwo278

Answer by Momoftwo278 at 6:47 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Have you joined a group of other special needs families? (My son has autism and I joined our local Autism Society and set up play dates with those moms) If there isn't a specific "group" for your daughter's disability, there should still be groups available. Search Family Support Network - they encompass all special needs.
    I used to experience this before my typical kids got a little older. But my best friends to this day are the ones I made when my son was in a special needs preschool class - he's 12 now but we still get together, with kids and without.

Answer by missanc at 9:31 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Thanks for the suggestions ladies! I really appreciate it. It's hard to imagine life past today and the here and now to imagine when she's 12 or 13!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:06 AM on Feb. 15, 2010