This Question is for mom's with children in Daycare!

What do y'all do when your child is sick or the daycare closes b/c of a holiday or snow? I don't have any family here or really any friends that don't work. I just started a new job last week and twice they closed early b/c of the snow, so my DH had to go get her and his boss was not happy and said he can't keep doing that or he is going to get fired. I was a SAHM for 18 months and now that she's exposed to germs, she's starting to get sick. Well, I can't leave my new job this week since I just started and I don't know what to do if this cold becomes worse and they send her away from daycare. So mom's, what do y'all do in situations like this?

ABPeterson

Asked by ABPeterson at 8:40 AM on Feb. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• well, i work at a daycare to be with my son so i guess i am cheating. but that is a pickle and i hear it all the time from parents. look around, there are tons of ladies that run daycares out of their homes. talk around and find a good one. then talk to her and get to know her, when something like snow days occur send your kiddo over to them because they are daycares that are never closed.

as for her getting sick, it is going to happen. really amp up the oranges in her diet and kick up the fluids. well, depending on how old she is... if she is too young for oranges, talk to your pediatrician if there is a way to boost that immune. probably not but doesn't hurt to try. just know that after your kids stint in daycare they have the immune of a god.

as for the fired remark. i'm sorry but my man would look at them and say, "fire me, i will just take unemployment from you."
    spazlilsister

Answer by spazlilsister at 9:34 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Unfortunately DH and I have to take turns taking the day off to be with whichever child is sick. I have been know in a pinch( know I will get bashed for this and I deserve it but...) to give my child Tylenol and send them anyway with the expectation of getting a call later in the day. That way I get at least a 1/2 day in. I know I have just infected all the other kids but shoot stuff spreads around like crazy before they are even showing signs and I need my paycheck! I don't get sick or vacation pay.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I have my daughter in a home daycare. they are more flexible and the lady takes my daughter when she is sick.
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 10:05 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• You have to take turns missing work. One of you may lose a job. If you don't have family around, that's really your only option. It totally sucks though.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 11:36 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• My son goes to a private school and extended care program. They often have half days, teacher work days, holiday breaks, and school closings due to weather. We get a calander in advance and make plans accordingly. My husband and I switch off who takes him. When my son is sick we take turns staying home as well. If my son has a planned holiday break then fit our vacations in during that time or we call the grandparents (who live 2 and half hours away) for a scheduled visit. My son loves visiting his grandparents for extended stays. His grandmother has often taken off of work to come help out when my son has been sick so that we only take off a day and she stays the rest of the time. Recently we have become friends with another couple from my son's school and we plan on teaming up when there are holiday breaks and teacher work days.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:34 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• i know its tough. my parents are 5 mins from me and retired so i have no problems there. but there was on instance that i they had to go some place late and i had worked late that night and i had to go pick her up so she did us a favor with her granddaughter babysitting. its good to know someone that does home daycare. or maybe a trusted teenager or college student. especially college students. they always are looking for extra cash and they are more flexiable considering they pick their classes. good luck.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 2:11 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I am an on-call sitter for these reasons. I have a few families that will call me if they need me. I just ask for an hour notice. They will leave work if need be, bring their child to my house, an go back to work.
    Anonymous

• you should always have someone to call in case of an emergency... In case you cannot get there to get your DD. Your husband and you will have to take turns, takeing off/calling off when your DD is sick and there is no day care. I work in a day care. My boss hates closeing.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 2:34 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• i will not put my son in a in home day care because of things i went through at in home day cares when i was his age. i have my son in la petite and if he sick or i have to go pick him up for being sick my work is somewhat undertanding they know im a single mom and dont have anyone to watch my son
    elias1mamma22

Answer by elias1mamma22 at 4:56 PM on Feb. 14, 2010