My 18 month old...

Has runny nose and he is coughing a lot. No fever. What should I do? Should Itake him to Dr? What kind of over counter medicine should I give him? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:53 AM on Feb. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my little one has had 3 ear infections, the 1st one she had a fever for 3 days(they told me i couldnt bring her in until shes had it for 3 days) the 2nd one no symptoms at all she just had to get a check up. then this last time she had the cough and running nose for a week so i made her an appotment and she had 2 ear infections.they gave me amoxicillion but the cough didnt go away until a week later after the meds.if it doesnt go away in a week i would def be making him an apotment
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:40 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• My children are in childcare, so a runny nose and a cough are no biggies to me. If it was associated with a high fever that could not be brought down with medicine, the fever lasted longer then 48 hrs, had a rash along, or her ears seemed to be bothering her ... then I would take her in. I would take him into the bathroom while a hot shower is running to let him breath the steam and loosen the mucus in his chest and sinus'. You are not suppose to give an 18 month old any type of cough and cold medicine. Only a fever reducer (Tylenol, Motrin) if he is running a fever. Good luck! Hope he get to feeling better!
    DobieCrest

Answer by DobieCrest at 2:42 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• call your doctor, usually they will tell you if you should go in or not
    Anonymous