How do I make my 1 child still feel important?!

I am 14 weeks pregnant with my 2nd child, My son is 5 years old, and He has been the center of our attention for the last 5 years, I dont want him to feel left behind, not important, I am soooo stressed out about it....I need some advice...I want his to be invoolved with EVERYTHING....

znidarsic2

Asked by znidarsic2 at 9:09 AM on Feb. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• You can still include him~ as much as HE wants to be... It might not be interesting to for him to help you change every diaper... But he can still be included.
    You can read him books while nursing the baby. You can take him places and for walks with baby in the sling. You can have him help with dishes, cooking laundry, too, baby in the carrier or bouncey seat.
    I involved my DD, too! She was present in the my labor, there for the birth, has been with me and the baby all the time.
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 9:54 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I have just tried to keep my kids invovled in what is happening. I take them to the early appointments so they can hear the heartbeat when my tummy isn't big enough for them to see any real difference in me. I took them to the ultrasound so they could see the baby. I didn't try to really start to prepare them until about the 7th month. That is when I start to mention that the baby will be doing things with us, like shopping. We let our 5 year old choose the bring the baby home outfit out of a couple we had chosen. After the baby arrives, I try to maintain as normal a day as possible. You will be more busy, but to your child, it's just another day. If you are nursing, you can still play with your son one handed. Let him pick the baby's outfit for the day, watch you give the baby a bath, whatever. It will be fine and he will adjust, especially after he sees the real, live baby!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 12:23 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Include him in things. Let him come to the appointments, hear the heartbeat, see the ultrasounds. Let him pick out outfits for baby when it's time, keep talking about his roll as Big Brother! When baby is born, let him help you by bringing you diapers and whatnot. My oldest is 6, he's sooooo excited about the baby, he keeps rubbing my belly saying he loves the baby, he talks to my belly all the time. I have a 3 year old too, he's not as into it all, but he's excited too. Just keep your son included in things, he'll be excited!
    Rachell9503

Answer by Rachell9503 at 10:42 PM on Feb. 15, 2010