Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

should i go to the er?

My son is three years old and has been running a temp of 101 or higher scence yesterday afternoon. He has a real bad barking cough that has made him vomit a couple of times. I called the dr on call yesterday and he told me to give him a supositorie (sp) with fever reducer in it so i did give him one and his temp came down to 100 then in a couple of hours it was back up to 103.6. Im just wondering if i should wait or go in today.

Answer Question
 
logansmom6106

Asked by logansmom6106 at 9:28 AM on Feb. 14, 2010 in Health

Level 12 (861 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • I say yes go. and go soob because you don't know what is causing the cough or fever.
    amygraves21

    Answer by amygraves21 at 9:36 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

  • Sorry, meant to say soon not soob...lol
    amygraves21

    Answer by amygraves21 at 9:37 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

  • Sounds like it could be the croup. My son just got over it a few days ago. One night he woke up with a barking cough and was having trouble breathing. It scared me and my husband so bad! My hubby took him to the er and they said they see alot of it during the winter months. He was fine and they said when he starts the coughing to turn on the shower to get the bathroom steamy and sit in there with him for a while or to take him out in the cold air for a few minutes. We also kept a humidifier right by his bed. I just gave him motrin for the fever. It was a rough few days but it did get better. I'm not saying that's what your son has,but it sounds alot like it. I say if you're really worried then take him in.
    hillaryann

    Answer by hillaryann at 9:41 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

  • I'd take him to an urgent care center who would evaluate and either treat him or recommend ER. ER has such a long wait.
    Bmat

    Answer by Bmat at 10:44 AM on Feb. 14, 2010

  • we went it is croup and they gave him to antibiotics you can already see that they are working he is back to himself except for the cough. Now they are talking about taking his tonsils out we will see what his dr says. she has the disision to send him to an ent dr.
    logansmom6106

    Answer by logansmom6106 at 5:37 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

  • Glad to hear he will be okay!
    amygraves21

    Answer by amygraves21 at 8:44 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN