Avon vs. Mary Kay

What are some pros and cons you have had with selling these products? Are they the same company? Which would you recommend selling? Is it a decent extra money maker?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Feb. 14, 2010 in Money & Work

• IF you can do Mary Kay the profits are good. But most people don't want to buy it because they are so expensive. Avon has more types of items for selection so it reaches a broader customer base. I don't know what the profits are though.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 12:52 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I would say Avon is the better bet. Both companies are very good, but Mary Kay is very expensive to get in to and requires you to meet high sales quotas. Avon is only $20 to start and they do not require you to have any certain amount of sales. Also, Avon products cost less than Mary Kay which means you will be able to sell to all types of people instead of just those with a decent income. For example a lipstick with Mary Kay will cost you around $13 but with Avon they are going to cost about $6-$8 and are just as good. This means that people will be able to order more, order more often and that you can find products to fit the budget of almost anyone... Mary Kay doesn't really give that many options because their products are so costly.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:06 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I would not reccomed either, The trend is healthy and natural seek an Arbornne consultant, No Im not with Arbornne, just sharing my honest opinion.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 2:07 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I am an Avon recruiter and have been with this company for 27 years. Mary Kay is a wonderful product but it is expensive. I sell lipstick and mascara to alot of women who sell Mary Kay because it is just as good and I can sell to them cheaper than they can buy it. Avon it 20.00 to sign up online, no inventory required, no minimum selling quotas. My website is c-theavonlady.com. Feel free to check it out. You can make up to 50% profit on your sales and if you start recruiting up to 12% of what your downline sales.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 4:52 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Mary kay is 50% commmosion. 100.00 for the kit. You do not have to make sales quotas. I sell what I want when I want. I just have to purchase at least 200.00 in a year to stay active.
    Anonymous

• I sold Avon for years. Generally with any direct selling company it takes a lot of effort to make money, many campaigns you may owe more than you made, but as far as products, they are more affordable and there are more things available to interest potential customers besides makeup and skin care. You also have clothes, shoes, handbags, jewelry, kids items, kitchen items, home decor, etc. etc.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 9:14 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Avon and Mary Kay are not in the same arena. Their marketing plan is totally different. Mary Kay specialize in skincare, Avon has what Mom2Jack04 listed above. Mary Kay is only expensive for those who do not have a consultant. If you shop like a department store you will pay like a department store. I respect Avon. This company has helped women. Mary Kay has also. If you are going to work for someone any way - work for yourself.
    RidingPink

Answer by RidingPink at 9:39 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• It is easier to sell what you love....which product do you like better? I have been using MK since I was 13 years old because I needed it for my skin. I have been a consultant since I was 18 years old because there are not quotas.  MK is priced between the department store and the grocery store. The skin care has at least a 3 month supply, so it really depends on who you are talking to to determine price. MK you receive 50% on everything you sell. I love it. If you have any questions about anything, feel free to PM me.

AmyMK

Answer by AmyMK at 9:46 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Neither! I work from home and don't have to do any parties or try to sell anything. I simply refer people to an environmentally responsible company and make a commission every time they shop. 95% of my customers come back to shop every month. Because, they are shopping for items that they are already using on a regular basis. So it's no additional expense. Let me know if you'd like to learn more about what I do.
    wonderRose

Answer by wonderRose at 5:39 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• FYI Arbonne is going out of business!
    Anonymous