Do you know anyone who has ever had a cochlear implant? What do you think of them?

This is something I need information on from a real person and not a website. It is something we MAY (not sure as of yet) be considering for our daughter someday as she will be getting tested for hearing loss. They will be giving her the baer test as she has failed all her inner ear tests with the specialist. We are told she may hear extremely high tones butnothing else-we aren't sure yet but still would like information from a real person. By the way, she is 6 weeks old.

flowermom76

Asked by flowermom76 at 1:13 PM on Feb. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I knew of a boy who had to beg his parents (who were also deaf) to allow him to get them implant. they kept telling him that deaf was part of who he was and couldn't understand why he would want to change that. His reason where simple. It would be easier. He could talk to anybody and wouldn't need a special phone to call someone. his parents finally gave in when he was 11. It was a huge deal. Oddly enough the mother got one 2 years later. :) The father was not eligible. I only knew this story because my BFF went to church with them. So I don't know any details about recovery or anything like that. I just know he was happy and mom gave in and got one to.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:19 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• One of my professors in college had one. He had gotten it about 5 years prior to teaching and said it was amazing to hear his wife's voice for the first time. I would have never known he ever had a hearing problem if he didn't tell me. He spoke very well and never seemed to have a problem hearing any of us in class.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 10:42 PM on Feb. 14, 2010