Does anyone have a child with selective mutism.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:58 PM on Feb. 14, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is that anything like selective deafness? Yeah. My kids can be REALLY loud and obnoxious sometimes, but try getting them to answer a question when they've done something they know they're not supposed to. They look and act like a woodland creature frozen by headlights.
    Ann_Ony_Mouse

Answer by Ann_Ony_Mouse at 2:00 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Yes I do! Though for the most part we've overcome it. She's still got some anxiety in public such as stores and restaurants. She use to not talk to anyone but us though.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:51 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• No, but my daughter was a "special friend" to a classmate who has selective mutism when she was in kindergarten and 1st grade. Her mom and I met at a meet the teacher event before school started and got the girls together a couple of times so they were comfortable. My daughter always just said "E is very quiet", but she would talk to my daughter very softly and then my daughter would communicate whatever it was that E wanted/needed to the teacher or other classmates. Now that they are in 3rd grade they are still good friends, but have been in different classes for the last 2 years. E has started to talk more, although she's still a little shy but she's very well behaved and a joy to have over to play

Answer by missanc at 12:35 PM on Feb. 15, 2010