early labor question

How long does early labor last before active labor?

mommy2be77

Asked by mommy2be77 at 2:08 PM on Feb. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• minutes, hours, days, weeks....
    Hopefully not more than that!
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:13 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• As long as you and this particular baby need it to. There are many definitions of early labor and active labor so this is hard to answer without a few more details of what you consider both. Personally with my first I felt nothing until 11 days before his due date and he turned from breech to head down at dinner and my water broke at 5 am with very light contractions about every 15 minutes. By noon I was unable to talk during contractions and I had him at 3 pm that afternoon (10 days before his due date). With my second I was having on and off braxton hicks for weeks before and then 5 days before her due date she woke me up about 6 am with contractions about 8 minutes apart. I was unable to talk during contractions around 10 am and pushed for 45 minutes and she was born about 11 am.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:30 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• for me it was about 12 hours. i didn't realize it was early labor until afterwards. but for some women, it's on-again-off-again for days or weeks, and some women just go straight into active labor :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:47 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• For me it was 2 weeks..ughh it was the longest two weeks of my life.
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 8:17 PM on Feb. 14, 2010