Question bout something, no rude answers, if your not gunna be helpfull please dont answer then. Thanks

Im 40 weeks and 4 days pregnant, since about 8pm last night till this morning i have had mild cramping(like my period) that makes me feel pressure in my butt, along with lower dull back pain. I am 1cm dilated and 80% effaced and -1 station. I have heard that an average pregnancy for a first time mom is 41 weeks and 1 day. Is that true? If so does that mean i will defently have my baby by the 18th? which would be 41 weeks and 1 day for me.

I feel like im not progressing any at all, but have been having some mild cramps since 8pm last night, but not close like 15 mins apart.

My doctor has an app with me on the 16th to talk about inducing i guess.

Thanks for all your help :)

Also if i were to go into the hospital with contractions 5 mins apart, but i still wasn't dilated would they keep me, and give me something to help things along?

How long is early labor?

Also they dont get that bad my

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Feb. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• It sounds like it could be early labor!
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 2:15 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• It's my understanding that most first times moms don't even go that far along. At least I didn't. I would not let them induce you. It's very dangerous.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 2:20 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• it sounds like u r in early labor. as for the average thing, that is the average so it accounts for the mothers who had preemies as well as the moms who were overdue. more than 42 weeks is overdue, but it sounds like u r doing ok. if u r having contractions in a pattern 2 or 3 min. apart for over an hour then go to the hospital...... idk about 5 min. it depends on the dr. and the hospital. gl :)
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 2:20 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Sounds like labor, but you are not ready to go to the hospital. As for if they would keep you or not--totally depends on the doctor. I'd say try having sex, that is said to speed things along. Best wishes. PS--I was 40 weeks and 6 days when I went into labor with my first. The midwife swiped my membranes and got things moving along.
    Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 2:21 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Sounds like labor! You don't even necessarily have to have sex. A good orgasm will do it!(I didn't tell my s/o that is how I really got thrown into labor with our youngest! I gave myself special attention. As soon as the orgasm arrived, so did the regular intense contractions!)
    Ann_Ony_Mouse

Answer by Ann_Ony_Mouse at 2:32 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• well since 41 w 1 day is the average, that means half have their babies before, half after

it's hard to tell if the hospital would keep you or not, my preference would be to stay at home as long as possible so as not to risk them giving "something to help things along" because that messes up the natural process and can be risky.

at 40 weeks 6 days, i was crampy all night, period-like cramping i guess. it was about 12 hours from 10 pm to 10 am i guess. then around 11 am that next day, active labor began and i had my baby by 6pm.

it's impossible to tell if you are THAT close but you surely are within 1-10 days of birth. i hope that helps .... my guess would be w/in the next 2 days but that's really just a guess

good luck and congrats!!!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:51 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• oh also my cramping throughout the night was not painful, just annoying, and i still slept, just not well, and woke up a lot. and early labor can be from 0 hours to days or sometimes weeks.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:53 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• No, all pregnancies are different although my Dr. did tell me most first pregnancies are late. I had my first and only ay 36 weeks. It does sound like contractions. I am not sure if they will keep you or not. My water had already broke by the time i got to the hospital. My advise.. Try to get some sleep because if you are in labor... its going to be a long day! Happy valentines day momma. You may get a wonderful present today.
    Tummysmomma

Answer by Tummysmomma at 3:10 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• They told us that it's not the length apart for the contractions that matter, it's the duration (length) of the contraction. We were told to come in when they lasted 60-90 seconds. Call L & D and talk with them

Answer by admckenzie at 3:19 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• It sounds to me like early labor and yes they would keep you with contraction 5 minutes apart with only being 1 cm along. Call your doctor and let them know whats going on and how long it's been going on you could be 4cm know you don't know. Nor do we know CALL YOUR DOCTOR i would if I was you.
    Anonymous