How do you react when your child wants to explore their spirituality?

Do you explore spirituality with them? Do you limit what they can learn? Do you buy several books and let them study themselves? Do you forbid them to learn about anything other than your way? Why or why not? And how does your DD/DS react to your choice?

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 2:50 PM on Feb. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• We all must find our own path to spirituality. My parents were livid when I turned from Christianity to seek my own personal beliefs as opposed to what they programmed me with as a child. I studied the ones I thought spoke to me and in the end returned to Christianity as my personal choice, no one else's. I had to make sure it was what I believed not what someone else chose for me. It's vital imho that each person find it for themselves so I'd embrace their journey and support their decision.

Answer by admckenzie at 2:53 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• We are not religious but believe in being educated about culture and religion around the world. We home educate. My ds is 13 and has no interest in religion or spirituality, he finds his answers through research and scientific inquiry. We have always been very big into outdoors and nature and he can appreciate the mysteries in this life.My dh and I are caring and generous people so he has learned good values. He tells me that the bible and god and all that are like santa clause and the tooth fairy. Without specific indoctrinated belief system, he is free to learn whatever and however he wants.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 3:06 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• It's my childrens choice and if they want to believe in something anything then it's there choice.
    Anonymous

• celebrate it and give them all the info I can even when its not my path... ie my kinder son just declared a few weeks ago he was Christian (while driving I almost had a car accident). So we talked about diff paths I told him I was not Christian but that Jesus was very cool and had a great message and if that what he wanted that was great and that I was proud of him.
    Anonymous

• i'd let my son do whatever as long as it didn't say he could skin people or something crazy. i'd probably read the books before he did to make sure it wasn't anything nuts.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 3:28 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I have to say so far I am pleasantly surprised.

Angevil53, what do you consider nuts? There are many things such as reincarnation, psychic awareness, magic, ect.. Where do you draw the line at "nuts".
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 3:30 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• How old of a child are we talking here? My child under the age of 16 or17 can read and learn about every religion on the planet but will not be allowed to 'convert' until they are at minimum 15 and have educated them selves well and are able to answer all of my questions with in reason to prove that this is what they really want and not a passing whim. Maturity would have a lot to with my 'allowing' them to convert. Knowledge leads to acceptance. My son is 5 and knows about a few other religions. I answer his questions as best I can and if I don't know I ask.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:38 PM on Feb. 14, 2010