when should i buy hardsole shoes?

my daughter is 9 months old but has been standing up by herself since 7 months old and is beginning to take steps with help so when should i let her wear hardsole shoes?

micahsmommy512

Asked by micahsmommy512 at 3:20 PM on Feb. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes as soon as my DD was standing on her own that's when I went out and got hardsole shoes. Your fun is getting ready to begin, it's the time of your life watching your LO walking. I cried my eyes out for 2 days :~)
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 3:26 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I kept my daughter in soft soled shoes (primarily) until she was about 18 mo. They learn to walk, run, skip, jump, etc. better when they can feel the ground under their feet. Once she's about 12 mo. though I would get her at least a pair of hard soled shoes for variation.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:42 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• You don't need hard soled shoes until they'll be walking on like sidewalks. They make many great soft soled shoes for toddlers and I believe they're better for foot devolopment and such.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:58 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• We kept my son in soft soles and bare foot until he was walking well.... he learned to walk at 10 months and we didn't get him hard shoes until he was 12 months.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:21 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Our doc recommends soft soles or socks until they are 3 years old. Mine were in soft soles until about 24 months old unless we were somewhere I was really concerned about things poking through. They walked on sidewalks and at the park in the soft soled shoes all the time. At home they were in socks with grippies on the bottom (we have hard wood floors). Soft soles are the best for them when learning to walk so that their feet form correctly. You can get soft soled leather shoes at Target and Babies r us for about $15 and other brands like Robeez online for about $30. You can often find them on ebay too and used is fine since they don't "form" to your foot like hard soled ones do. I have also used leather coats and the like from thrift stores to make my own.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 6:19 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• not until they will be walking outside. soft soles are much better for learning to walk. my boy is 19 months ,he wears hard soles outside, and soft soles in places like grocery stores and rec centres.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 6:54 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I agree with aeneva. Soft soles or barefoot is much better for balance and foot development.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:23 PM on Feb. 14, 2010