Working out is make me bulky! HELP!

I workout 4-5 times a week. I do 30-45 min. cardio & alternate leg & arm workouts. My arms & legs look like they are bulking up. I am only 4'11 so it is easy for me to get bulky / muscular. But i want to stay thin & toned, not bulky looking. What am I doing wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:33 PM on Feb. 14, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• okay first off strength training which is what bulks you should never be done more than 3 times per week (unless your a body builder or trying to look like one) Cardio can be done as much as you want but 5 times a week 30 -45 minutes is best.

what do you mean by leg and arm workouts? what type of excercies are you doing? that makes a huge difference.

you will see some tone when working your muscles and it doesnt mean your bulky it means tone (these are two very different things)
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:36 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Sorry just starting thinking again....if your using weights reduce your weight, for nice tone you need a comfortable weight, the more weights you add the bigger your going to get. even if you find your weights are becoming easy only add 5 pounds that is all you need or change the type of excercise /weights your using find a new challenge. you should be alternating workouts every few weeks anyhow.

anytime a workout becomes easy you have been doing it too long.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 4:39 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Reduce your repetitions of your excercise, or reduce the weights.

Answer by older at 4:53 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• It just may mean that you have a body type that gains muscle very easily like I do (mesomorph). I've always had a gymnasts body. Is that how you're starting to look? You may want to look into a different type of exercise like pilates or something like that. I like my muscular build. Remember, the more muscle you have, the more your body works off fat all day long, even when you're not exercising.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 4:54 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• For overall body tone and less "bulk", you should be doing exercises that emphasize strength but have less resistance.

When you run or use an elliptical, turn down your resistance a bit. Aim for an aerobic workout--long period of time at less resistance.

When you do your weights circuit, aim for 16 reps of each exercise. This means that you should be lifting less weight for a longer period of time. Doing just a few reps of a heavy weight will result in bulk.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 7:11 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Try more cardio and less "strength" .... you want to burn calories and be trim without bulking up, so just adjust the ratio a bit.

MaryJacobs

Answer by MaryJacobs at 9:05 AM on Feb. 17, 2010

• Add Pilates or Yoga to your workout routine ( at least twice a week) to lenghten your muscles and tone.
    TakeNoticeNow

Answer by TakeNoticeNow at 3:20 PM on Feb. 18, 2010