Husband is making ZERO money. How do I cope?

So my husband last year was making a six figure salary. He switched jobs that paid him a upfront bonus. I think he only did it to pay off his credit cards and ex wife. He had been at his last job 2o years. I figured h knew what he was doing. Now after his first year with the company they are telling him until the loan is paid off he will get no paycheck. NOTHING. So so it really was not a bonus to begin with...So he will not get paid for 3 months. Are you kidding me? So now it is just my. I have always contributed to the household. He has never had to pay a dime towards my kids because I paid for all their expenses. If I wanted something I paid for it because I knew he had child support and alimony to pay. We have been together for 6 years and that was are arrangement. He made 6 figures but most of it went to the ex and his kids. I was fine with that because I made enough to take care of me and my kids. Now he expects me

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:38 PM on Feb. 14, 2010 in Relationships

• I'd pay the bills that pertained to caring for my immediately family (mortgage, food, etc) but I would tell him he needs to pony up and pay his own child support and alimony. He can go back to court and get it reduced then sell his motorcycle to pay it. However, know that they can take your tax return for his child support so file that and spend it fast before they find out what's up! So no, don't pay his bills for him. He's a man. He can figure it all out.

Answer by admckenzie at 6:07 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Continued.....to pay everything. including his child support, his car payment and all his crazy bills. However during our marriage he always made me pay for my stuff and I never asked him for a cent because of his obligations. I feel he needs to get a second job. We are blessed to have enough in savings to carry us and I love him but it seems selfish to me when he has a BMW motorcycle and car and thinks that I now have to pay his child support and alimony when he never helped my kids. I was understanding to his obligations I feel he should do something to help make ends meat. Am I being rude? Maybe he should sell the motorcycle. I guess I am just mad because he said the mortgage was paid up until March and today he is telling me it is due tomorrow!!!!! Are you kidding? He left me in the dark about our financial situation and did not tell me he would not be earning a paycheck until last week. What the hell?
    Anonymous

• find a new ( working)husband!
    Anonymous

• I think you guys need to sit down and discuss your finances. DH and I don't have any ex's or child support to pay but whatever money he makes and whatever money I make is "ours". We support each other. I guess it worked for you guys not to do that with money but you did marry for better and for worse. This looks like one of your worse times where you have to help each other. Did he know about the loan part and lie to you about it being a bonus? You are a family, you may have to use your income to help him but that is part of being married. I am helping my dh pay his student loans off with my income. We pay the mortgage together. I guess I am trying to say it is a team effort. He could sell his motorcycle. But If I was you and I could help along with what is in savings, that is what I would do and let it go. You can't change what happened so why go crazy over it? Just get through it together.
    Anonymous

• Marriage means sharing everything...including bills. Tell him that you will cover the expenses and bills for now, but that you want reimbursement once his money starts rolling in again. After that you two need to talk about the money situation and find a more reasonable agreement.
    Merjo

Answer by Merjo at 5:07 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Tell him you will pay all the bills but his child support and alimony. Sense he does not take care of your kid financialy youe should not have to take care of his.

Answer by louise2 at 5:53 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• You can pay his bills... by selling his "extras"
    Anonymous