Low calorie foods or snacks?

Okay so for the past 4 days I have been eating under 1,300 calories. I've cut out my soda completely and the house is filled with a ton of veggies. I'm getting bored with the same stuff. I bough some 100 calorie packs and those are pretty awesome. I was wondering what else is low calorie and still flavorful? Anyone have any ideas for me? I'd prefer something that actually fills you up somewhat! Thanks!

Morgan.

Asked by Morgan. at 4:57 PM on Feb. 14, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• you can have just about anything you want as long as you remember portion control!
    Anonymous

• my go to snacks are typically, frozen berries, string cheese, triscuits or wheat thins, whole wheat toast with peanut butter, luna bars (love the white choclate macademia) veggies of all types, yogurt, and fruit smoothies.

Typically i will thaw strawberries and raspberries in the morning and then have some with the crackers and string cheese it keeps it under 150 calories per snack.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 7:04 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Snacking on dessert-like foods, even if they're 100-calorie packs, is a bit of a waste because although it is a low-calorie food, it contains very little protein and fiber, which will keep you feeling full.

Some nutritious and filling snack ideas:

-Apple
    -Banana
    -Small handful of nuts
    -6 or 8oz yogurt
    -1 cup of cereal with milk
    -Cheese (most stores offer single servings of cheddar cheese--these are great)
    -Glass of milk
    -Applesauce
    -Handful of raisins or craisins
    -Protein bars (be careful--any protein that contains less than 10g of protein is basically candy)

If you're not hungry but just want to snack on something, make yourself a pot of flavorful tea with honey.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 7:15 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• 1300 calories is not much. What made you choose that number?

Those 100 calorie packs are not real food and not filling. It's just a pre-measured amount of junk food. IMO not a quality snack. It's especially not good for you if you're only ingesting 1300 calories a day. Your foods need to be nutrient dense because it's hard to get all your required nutrients in a 1300 calorie diet, even if every oz of food you put in your body is high quality. If you want to find something filling to snack on, you're going to need to choose high quality food.

I usually snack on fruit, vegetables, small amounts of cheese, milk, yogurt. One of my favorites is yogurt with berries. Banana and a glass of skim milk - a 200 calorie snack that is balanced, filling and will keep you going. A handful of baby carrots and a tbsp of hummus is probably about 150.
    EmilyandIsaac

Answer by EmilyandIsaac at 8:50 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I chose 1365 a day because I want to lose 2 pounds per week. And for my height, age and weight that's how much I am aloud to have per day. However if I burn off the calories I'm aloud to eat twice as much. I eat whenever I am hungry and I stay at my calorie range. Eating 1500 + a day isn't going to be very effective. There is no possible way I could burn half those calories. However It's working for me thus far. I do eat plenty of veggies, meat, yogurt, fruit. All of the filling healthy stuff. I'd just like some tasty, not so good food, that wont hurt my weight loss to much. Hey, I'm only human :)
    Morgan.

Answer by Morgan. at 10:21 PM on Feb. 14, 2010