Do you feed your toddler foods with.......

High fructose corn syrup??

Is it really all that bad?

I think that in moderation its ok?!
My mom just told me not to give my DD yogurt because it had it in it? I grew up eating it and im just fine..... I just dont get it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:28 PM on Feb. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't feed my kids food with HFC's, but that's just me. I tend to steer away from them myself. Some yogurts may have it in there, but many other varieties/brands don't - check the label! It's better to give yogurt that doesn't have any added sugars.
    The difference between you and your daughter eating it is that these days it's in SO many of our food items, in greater quantities, that it wasn't in when we were young. I just like to know that what I'm giving my kids isn't just "fine" but is the best quality I can buy for them!

Answer by missanc at 5:32 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• High fructose corn syrup is made from corn, it's fine in moderation JUST like sugar. Almost EVERYTHING you eat has sugar in it.
    Anonymous

• I avoid HFCS as much as I possibly can, and limit foods wiht it that I can't avoid.
    Anonymous

• I don't make a point of NOT giving him foods with it in... although I do try not to give him a lot of sugary things in general.
    I don't think there is a big deal with that or regular sugar, like you said, both are fine in moderation.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:52 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• HFC is made from corn - in a laboratory! I avoid processed foods in general, but if you're a processed food eater, then I'm sure the foods with HFC aren't any worse than anything else you are eating.
    Anonymous

• Nope. I buy crackers and yogurt without it. Other than that, we mostly cook from scratch. Stonyfield and Dannon both make an all natural yogurt with no dyes, HFCS or aspartame in them.
    Anonymous

• Nope, my son gets zero corn products. He's allergic.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 6:49 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Another corn allergy here...but we were limiting it anyway. I'm not super "HFCS is evil" myself, but that made from corn, so its okay drives me nuts, ethanol is made from corn too, doesn't make it safe.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 7:42 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I don't purposely buy foods with HFCS, but my kids get it once in a while at parties and when we eat out, which is rare. We don't have corn allergies, so I don't sweat those small amounts too much, but we avoid it as much as possible at home.

I also have to disagree with the whole "it's made from corn so it must be ok" mentality. Just because something is "natural" doesn't mean it's totally safe. Wine is made from grapes and yeast. That's pretty darned natural! Many drugs are derived from natural ingredients. Herbs are about as natural as you can get. That doesn't mean that they're ok to give to your kids.

Also, just because you are "fine" now does not mean your diet didn't affect you or won't affect you in the future. Most Americans WILL end up with health problems as they get are older due to their lifelong dietary habits. Not might...WILL. Why start the cycle with your kids?
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 8:11 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I wouldnt, there are options out there that are a lot healthier and cheaper.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 9:00 PM on Feb. 14, 2010