A question from a certified car seat technician...............

I am a certified car seat technician and a have a question for everybody in general. When I am doing a free seat check for the community in the parking lot of a store we often have some police officers there simply because many of them are certified as well and are helping with the event. When I am working I often see people drive by and nervously look at us then drive away. Its almost as if they are afraid to come in because they are scared of getting a ticket or something. I was wondering if this would bother you? If you were attending such an event would you feel more comfortable if the officer's were simply wearing a T-shirt that said Safe Kids on it? P.S. We DO NOT give tickets out. We help the parent install the seat and even if it was in incorrectly they leave without being in any trouble.

justluvinmyson

Asked by justluvinmyson at 6:12 PM on Feb. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• I wouldn't be turned off if cops were there, but I can see how others might be.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:00 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• i'm not afraid of cops in general bc i have cops and military in my family. i think MOST people are though and a t-shirt might make them think they are off duty or aren't even a cop and would help! you should entertain that idea at your next meeting and give it a try, afterall it's all about safe kids!
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:15 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Thank you. Does anybody else from a different backround feel differently? I hope to get as many answers as possible since we are planning a seat check soon.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 6:30 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Oh, the cops now how to do this. I would love to have someone check mine. Can I just stop by the station?? And to your question, yes the shirts would help to decrease fear. Maybe hand out balloons for the kids as well, just to make it more festive or have someone face painting while the parents get the seats checked out. Again more festive and less intimidating, and the kids might bug them to come on down.  Thank you for doing what you do.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 6:33 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Thanks. Believe me I LOVE doing it. And yes, in that situation most of our parents simply drive by and happen to see us and stop. If you would like to get your seat checked go to safekids.org and type in your zip code to find a technician near you. If you do this just make sure you call the person first. And what a great idea about balloons! I could stop at the Dollar Tree!
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 6:43 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• no the cops wouldn't freak me out or anything, but I know how to install a car seat. yay for instructions!
    Anonymous

• That's great that you read them anon! A lot of parents choose not to!
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 6:48 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• ;o) I may not on things like building a shelf and then want to beat it with the hammer (LOL and sometimes do!) but on kid stuff, I always read the instructions! :oD
    Anonymous

• I would prefer to know their cops. I don't want to be trusting the installation of my car seat to some strange person. When my son switched to his stage two car seat I had a cop do it and it wasn't installed properly. However, I would still trust a cop to do it. My brother is a cop and he does those gatherings all the time and he's installed three of my sons carseats.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:23 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Honestly, and I hate to sound like this because I am trying SOOO hard to become certified, but most people just dont give a crap about carseat safety! I know without a doubt that my carseats are in right, but I go to every carseat check we have in my area, just to be sure, and yes, to be told I did it right. And Im usually the only one there..... its horrible! Cops may make it seem more intimidating...a safe kids Tshirt sounds like a better idea! And its really neat that cops in your area are certified.. the cops in my area dont know squat about carseats, my uncle is a cop and had his 3 year old 32lb daughter in a booster and his forward facing 18mth old daughter in a seat with a shield! I jumped all over my aunt because the booster situation is illegal and her COP husband should've known that..ugh! And the shield seat..they think looks safer..no matter how much I complain about them....
    Auntiemom410

Answer by Auntiemom410 at 12:33 AM on Feb. 15, 2010