my 11 month old is constipated...

My 11 month old is constipated and seems to have a lot of pain during bowel movements. His dr says to give him more juice, let him take more warm baths, and to use vaseline to soften his anus. I've done all that, but he still seems to have a hard time... Any suggestions?

megs424420

Asked by megs424420 at 6:19 PM on Feb. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• grape juice. then wait a couple of hours and if he hasn't pooped yet, take a q-tip and very carefully insert it into his anus and wait a few seconds. that is what they did at the hospital with my son when he wouldn't poop. it won't hurt him.
    Anonymous

• Try a chiropractor. My first is that way. We did all the things they suggested and nothing worked. She would hold it because it was something she could control. So all the food changes and prune juice did nothing. But once we got her back aligned she could not hold it in. Within 2 hrs of seeing the chiropractor she would have a bowl movement. Good luck.

Anonymous

• Try some Karo syrup. Get the dark stuff, you will find it in the baking aisle. Its really sweet and you can add a little to a bottle or sippy cup of milk or formula.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 6:23 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• What are his symptoms and what is his diet? Is he passing dry, hard, pellet like stool? Karo is not recommended for infants, their own website specifies this, there is a risk of it causing botulism poisoning, jsut like with honey.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:25 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Please, please PLEASE ignore the anon at :23!!! I child should NEVER have their spine forcefully manipulated! Their bones are still soft and their joints are still loose and it can do SO much damage!

Give prune juice and high fiber fruits and veggies to eat.
    Anonymous

• Craniosacral therapy can help. No forceful manipulation. In fact, it almost looks like they're not doing anything, but it works wonders. We swear by it. Completely eliminated our sons reflux and need for meds and has helped tremendously with similar tummy troubles. Prunes and an infant suppository cut in half can help during the worst times.
    tylermilesmom

Answer by tylermilesmom at 6:47 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

ingonre them because they have not clue what they are talking about. They do not adjust them like an adult. If you have never been to one. You nave no clue what they do and how they do it. So you need to decided what you want to do. but I have done then for both my children since they were babies. There are lots others that do to. So if you decide to think about it. Meet with a chiroprator and talk to them about how they do the adjustments. It is ever intersesting and they know what they are doing. They are trained in bones. So yes you child that young can go.
    Anonymous

• Oh and I should say. If they chiropractor was not good for my baby. Why would my Dr and the specialist we saw. Both recommend it.

Anonymous