I am so depressed and i feel like I cant take care of my kids

What should i do after starting an antidpressant? i feel like I am not capable of taking care of my almost two year old and six yr old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:13 PM on Feb. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• antidepressants will take from 4-8 weeks for your body to adjust to them so you could feel really groggy in the mornings and it makes it very difficult to wake up. I went through that with my meds. Once your body has acclimated you will feel better, but that initial getting used to period will be a little work on your body. As everyone mentioned above, you should find some help....family...a good friend to help?
    LynnB1

Answer by LynnB1 at 8:21 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Do you have people that can help you out?
    marine_wife0520

Answer by marine_wife0520 at 8:17 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Do you have anyone that would be willing to watch them for a few days, maybe family or someone? When you start the antidepressants you will feel tired all the time for the time for the first few days
    Amelora

Answer by Amelora at 8:18 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• You need someone to help you for a few days. If you can't find anyone to help you out then you should go back to the dr and let them know that the meds are not helping you.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 8:23 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I'm right there with you anon. I'm going through the same thing write now although unfortunately I've had depression my whole life so it's hard for me to separate depression from who I am. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

I hope you'll start taking the meds so you can deal.
    Heathercurlz

Answer by Heathercurlz at 8:33 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Bump all above,
    Meds will make you feel drowsy, Here's some things that can also help (recovering Depr. 7 yrs)
    Get outside everyday - take the baby and get out, even if it is to just walk up and down your street.
    Physical activity can really help, a very quick paced walk, jog, aerobics, cycle anything that gets the blood pumping releasing natural endorphins which are mood lifters, this has been crucial to my outlook,
    Seek out people. If you have no support around, you really need to find a group of people who meet regularly, church, mothers group, playgroup, kindergym, kids reading time at the local library, swimming at the pool, anything where other people are. Yoi don't have to talk to anyone straight up, but force yourself to go everytime. It is important for you and your kids.
    Eat as healthily as possible, fresh fruit, vegies, dairy, plenty of water, just looking after yourself will help,
    Good luck
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 10:49 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• cchr.org PLEASE do not start taking medication...it is addictive!!! get healthy and start doing fun activities...do things FOR YOURSELF!!!
    Anonymous