Is there a Muslim holiday in which you cut yourself or someone cuts you with a sword?

Please tell me this is false. I was told this earlier and I really don't believe this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 PM on Feb. 14, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• As a Christian I would be appalled if I saw one of my fellow Christians allow them self to be nailed to a cross I would be appalled if this was done by anyone. Muslim or not.

As for corporal mortification. Personally I never heard of it so I did a quick look. this is what I found. Forms
    In its simplest form, it can mean merely denying oneself certain pleasures, such as by abstaining from alcoholic beverages, pornography and fornication. It can also be practiced by choosing a simple or even impoverished lifestyle; this is often one reason many monks of various religions take vows of poverty.

In some of its more severe forms, it can mean causing self-inflicted pain and physical harm, such as by beating, whipping, piercing, or cutting.

I now my church does not practice the severe forms and I am just as sickened by those as I am by cutting with a sword.
    Anonymous

• It is called Ashoura. http://factsofisrael.com/blog/archives/000635.html
    alaskansglmom

Answer by alaskansglmom at 8:38 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I'm all for tradition but this is awful to look at. Hopefully they can find a more symbolic way to demonstrate like using fake blood, I hope that baby in the above link wasn't really cut :~(

I know there are cultural differences and its not entirely fair to comment on something I don't have have the cultural background in, because it includes emotions or memories for these traditions that I don't have, but gross.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 8:54 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• actually your right, the holiday is ashura, sometimes spelled differently. the shiite & sunni muslims celebrate it differently though. for the sunni its a day of voluntary fasting. for shiites its a major festival commemoratingthe death of hussien who was the grandson of muhammad.(the prophet) in karbala, iraq. The event led to the split between the Sunni and Shia sects of Islam, and it is of central importance in Shia Islam.
    For Shi'a Muslims, rituals and observances on Ashura consist primarily of public expressions of mourning and grief. Some Shi'as express mourning by flagellating themselves on the back with chains, beating their head or ritually cutting themselves. This is intended to connect them with Husayn's suffering and death as an aid to salvation on the Day of Judgment.
    beachmom0703

Answer by beachmom0703 at 8:55 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• continued...

Many Shi'a make pilgrimages on Ashura to the Mashhad al-Husayn, the shrine in Karbala, Iraq, that is traditionally held to be Husayn's tomb. Husayn's martyrdom is widely interpreted by Shi'a as a symbol of the struggle against injustice, tyranny, and oppression

my hubby is sunni muslim so he doesnt practice this tradtion like the shiites do. i learned something, had no idea about this.
    beachmom0703

Answer by beachmom0703 at 8:58 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• most religions have some "different" traditions...even some christians commerate jesus dying on the cross by reanacting it themselves...
    beachmom0703

Answer by beachmom0703 at 10:10 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• my ex is Muslim & I never heard of this..
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 10:29 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I honestly don't know what to say about this. I guess this is one of those instance where you play by the kindergarten rules and not say nothing at all.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 10:52 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• while I understand that here in the US, the Muslim religion isn't really known much about, but honestly how can you people be sickened by it? Is it just because it's Muslims?
    Some denominations of the Christian church practice corporal mortification.
    Anonymous

• beachmom is right. some and not all shia muslims do this but they do not base Islam upon the correct teachings of Islam which is only to be taken from the Quran and the life of Prophet Muhammad. Shia Muslims are in a sect and make up a small minority of Muslim mostly out of Iran & Iraq. There is NO room for any of this in ISLAM- none of which is found in the Quran and none of which is found in the teachings of Prophet Muhammad. So although there are some 'Muslims' who partake in these ignorant practices..they can not use ISLAM as a valid reason to do so.
    muhajjirah

Answer by muhajjirah at 12:51 AM on Feb. 15, 2010