head cold, breastfeeding, meds?

can i give any meds to my 3 month old for congestion? i've been holding her all day because she cant breathe... dad and i have it too, it sucks. i am ebfing, should i take something or tough it out? or would me taking something help her?

happy v day and thanks

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 8:49 PM on Feb. 14, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• temporal artery thermometer says 99.4 on her, 1 degree higher than shes ever had and she is very phlegmy in the mouth. been sleeping most the day
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:52 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I would call the doctor about giving the baby meds. I used saline drops and a cool mist humidifier for my DD when we got sick. I also toughed it out and didn't take anything because I don't want to take anything while breastfeeding. The antibodies you have will be great for the baby.
    Happy V-day and I hope you all feel better!!
    Marix3

Answer by Marix3 at 8:54 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• we do saline and humidifier for daily congestion, but i know this is from a sick bug. humidity is 55 in here right now
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 8:56 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• No meds for baby unless prescribed by the doctor. Steamy bathroom, breast milk in her nose will help. You can take OTC meds, but try to stay away from psuedoephedrine, as it can cause supply issues.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 8:58 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Meds are off limits for baby. If YOU are sick you can take anything Tylenol. And breastmilk int he nose will clear her congestion. It's great stuff.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:39 AM on Feb. 15, 2010