How old was your child when they learned their ABC's?

My DD will be 2 in March and she is learning to say certain letters, but I'm wondering when most kids learn their ABC's. I know everyone is different. I'm just trying to get a rough estimate.

lvaughn26

Asked by lvaughn26 at 9:00 PM on Feb. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• eh..i don't really remember when he had the entire alphabet down, maybe by 3..3 1/2?? he also said it backwards, too.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:18 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• mine is three and just learned his to a point, though if someone sings it with him he can do it
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:42 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• My son's ninteen months and he's learning his right now. I don't think there's a certain age for it, I think it's more just when the kid feels like picking it up. We sing the alphabet a lot in my house though because I can't remember any little kid songs when I need to remember them, lol, so I'm sure that helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• my dd could recognize some letters before she was 2, she could recognize them all between 2 and 3 and she has finally gotten the whole ABC song mastered (she's 3 yrs and 4 months). before a couple weeks ago she would sing the song but skip letters t,u,v everytime.
    now we are working on re-teaching her the whole thing in French since she has to know it by September for school.
    Angelgirl25

Answer by Angelgirl25 at 8:02 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• My daycare kids know their abcs and they are all under 2. They also recognize some letters and numbers. It's all about how much time and effort you put into teaching them. Also, some kids pick up on things faster then other kids.

vnw1405

Answer by vnw1405 at 8:29 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• My son turned 2 in September, he doesnt recognize any letters yet but sings the whole ABC song.
    ShastaRaine

Answer by ShastaRaine at 9:12 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Around 3.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 9:17 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• My first knew about 10 letters when she saw them and could sing the whole song (got LMNO a little mixed up) by about 18 months; by 2 she knew the whole upper case, and now she's 33 months and knows a hand full of the lower case, too, and recognizes some words... My little one is now 17 months and I can see she's not as advanced with it as my first was at her age.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:24 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Ive been pointing letters out since dd was 13 mos and finally at 2 she started pointing them out as well. She sings the song after me, but I hardly sing it so she's not really learning that yet I guess... She knows half the letters and their lower case partner. She's my proof no matter how hard you try, kids will learn when they are ready!!!!!! I've been trying together to count to 10 and she was just ableto count to 5 yesterday!!! Dd is much more active and prefers to run, jump, climb, do somersaults and dance.... lol to teach her letters we dance the outline or jump them so she picks it up quicker!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 2:44 PM on Feb. 15, 2010