Is anyone a Teacher?

I need to ask a teacher a few questions for school. Do you have any answers to the following questions:

1. What are the three most important tips on teaching you can give someone who wants to become a teacher?

2. What are the three best things you like about teaching?

3. What is the most unusual or difficult experience you have had in your teaching career?

4. What do you do during the summers?

5. What are the three most important characteristics to you of an effective school principal?

6. What have been the greatest changes in the students over your career as a teacher?

7. Any other comments you would like to add?

Jessbear09

Asked by Jessbear09 at 9:01 PM on Feb. 14, 2010 in About CafeMom

• I'm not teaching any more. SAHM.
    1. A good teacher realizes that there is a ton of out of classroom prep required. Managing time in-class and out of class is very difficult, so coming up with a good schedule is essential. If you teach the same class 2 periods in a row, the second class is never as good as the first. It always moves at a weird pace.
    2. I like talking about literature with people, and I loved when I could convert someone into a book worm.
    3. The most difficult teaching situation I've experienced was a violent student who had to be removed from my classroom. I was actually teaching at a college at the time. Horrible.
    4. I worked private ed so my schools have always been open in the summer.
    5. I've never worked for an effective principal.
    6. Students are pretty consistent.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:52 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I love to teach! This is my 14th year. I have taught 6th-12th graders in public and in private schools. My state is probably ranked one of the lowest in the country as far as teaching salary, but, to me, the fact that I am "off" for the summers and for holidays makes me feel pretty good about my salary. I love being off with my kids. I feel that teachers should be organized, patient, and love kids. There are too many teachers who teach who shouldn't be. I believe that a teacher should understand that he/she isn't there to be the students' friend, that he/she is a role model--in and outside of the school, and that kids come from all different types of home situations--which means what works for one may not work for another. I feel that an effective school principal should be innovative, a leader, and a disciplinarian. The most difficult situations, thus far, have been the deaths of students and counseling others.
    CnMe31

Answer by CnMe31 at 9:59 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• 1. No matter how rough a day you have, you get to start over the next day. There is NEVER enough time in the day. Pick a time to be finished for the day and go home. Do not take work home with you!

2. The kids love you, and tell you they do. (At least my pre-k class does). Seeing the joy of kids 'getting it'. I get paid to play with kids all day!

3. Having kids with parents who just don't care.

4. Training and get everything ready for the next year.

5. Caring, compassionate and helpful.

6. nothing really I have only been a certified teacher for 3 1/2 years.

7. Some kids don't get love from anyone else so be prepared to give them the world!
    Jessycwr

Answer by Jessycwr at 11:57 PM on Feb. 14, 2010