Is going to college online a good idea?

I discussed it with my husband that I want to go back to school but I want to do it online especially now because there has been a lot of shootings in school and I am terrified.

My mom who thinks she knows everything and more says that it's better to actually go to school because it's easier.

Does anyone know what it's like? Do you recommend school online?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:36 PM on Feb. 14, 2010 in

• I got my AA from university of phoenix and Im still going for my Bachelors. Its the best decision I ever made.

Answer by gemgem at 9:37 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• As long as you have the discipline to do it, YES. I teach an online high school class, and it is pretty tough; however, I would really have enjoyed getting my degree online rather than attending the actual face to face classes.
    CnMe31

Answer by CnMe31 at 9:42 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• It really depends on your learning style. On-line learning is different from going into a classroom on a regular schedule and meeting face to face with a teacher. If you are an auditory learner, on-line classes aren't going to be as good for you. If you like to participate in web forums and write a lot of papers and learn well by studying on your own, then on-line college is great.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:43 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• i'm 44 and recently started online courses. for me it's more convienient due to time and work restrictions. i can study when i need to at any time of the day. so far i have a b average and am really enjoying the orocess.
    justjacki

Answer by justjacki at 9:45 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Absolutely~! You can do it in your own time at your convenience. I graduated from a real estate course online :) It's true some people need guidance from a teacher, it does depend on your learning style...I like to learn at my own pace, not have social interactions interupting me, or the personality of a teacher annoying me...lol but that's just me ;)

Good luck to you~!
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 10:01 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I'm currently taking online courses through a local college. I absolutely LOVE it! It's the only way I'd be able to do it with 3 little ones running around. I also like the fast that if I have any problems I can head up the road and talk face-to-face with my instructors if needed. I'm currently getting a certificate in Medical Office Assisting and am go excited go graduate this May!

I have a friend who got a bachelors from Phoenix in Secondary Education but can't get a job here in our state because she never had any hands on learning/ teaching (like being a student teacher). If she wants to be a teacher, like she does, she'll have to spend 6 months student teaching first. So make sure you check out everything before you start up a college out of state =)
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 10:02 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• i tried taking online courses once and it was way too hard for me. you have to basically teach yourself, read hundreds of pages, and make sure you constantly remember to check everything, and figure out the program the school uses. i couldnt do it. i tried for 2 days and then dropped those classes and went back to on campus courses. it is alot easier, you have a teacher, and you get the whole experience of having classmates & etc. - i personally wouldnt recommend on online courses, but people do do it, it depends on you.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 10:34 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I would suggest doing it from a community college or university near you. That way if you do need help you can always go to the teacher and ask for it.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:39 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I am currently going for my AA online through the University of Phoenix and it actually is pretty easy, you have to get yourself a good routine going to make it easier to do but I love it! The only thing I found myself saying today was I NEVER in my days out of high school would I have thought I would say this: On days like today I wish would have paid more attention to certian subjects while in high school! for example sciences and biology....
    amygraves21

Answer by amygraves21 at 1:30 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• fo rme going to school online is just as hard if not harder than going to school on campus. For me though, it is just more convenient. I have 2 kids, so i can't go to school. It's a wonderful option and you can do your work on YOUR OWN TIME. so if you need to do it at 3 am, you can do it at 3 am, just make sure your work is turned in on time. i hight recommend it
    NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy

Answer by NaKeYJaKeYsMoMy at 9:19 AM on Feb. 15, 2010