Have you ever saved up change to pay for a trip/activity/event?

We have been saving up our change for a few months now. So far we have a little over $100 but our problem is we don't know what we want to save for? Should we save for a weekend getaway or should we set our sights higher and save for a week long trip to Europe ( we are wanting to go in about 2-3 years). Or should we just keep on saving and see how things go? If you have paid for a trip/activity/event entirely with the change you saved up, where did you go/what did you do? How long did you save for? Thanks in Advance!

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 9:44 PM on Feb. 14, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have friends who saved every piece of change they had. They saved $600 in one year.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:47 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• my parents did that, we used to go to silver dollar city and used it for the tickets and trinkets while we were there.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 9:47 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• my dh saves all his change..usually, by vacation time each june, he's saved $400-600...we use it for gas/traveling food/etc. (we always drive to our destination, whether its the 10hr trip to florida or taos, new mexico). its almost like we get free gas/snacks, because we don't 'miss' the money.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:05 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• My change goes into my kids college fund. Well, most of it does.. I will admit that I used the change from the last 3 months or so to buy a new playpen for the new baby, but I wasn't going to be able to get it any other way. We also save the money from bottle and can recycling, and that also goes into a bank account for the kids. I wouldn't have it any other way because we really don't have a lot of extra money to put away for college and that is like 'extra cash' laying around.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 10:21 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• My dad loves to save change and has for as long as I remember. He even saves all his $1 bills too because he hates how they can quickly crowd his wallet. Within about 6 months he can easily have $700 or more. One time he had over $300 in just quarters and over $500 in ones! Crazy huh! I wish I could do that. I have a little piggy I fill up and I'm always too impatient to wait until it's fully filled before I cash it in. I'm always so curious as to how much is in it!
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 10:23 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• things not sane, I am like that too. I have saved up $50-$90 several times but I always got so impatient to know how much I had. We recently bought one of counting jars to keep up with how much is in it. I think it can hold around $150-$175 so once it is full we are going to empty it into a big glass jar and continue to save up our change.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:31 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• We save our change in a 2.5lb pretzel barrel (empty obviously) and I have not checked it. Every so often I throw a dollar or something in there too. It is our vacation fund to go to Disney with the kids. Lilith puts her spare change in there too so she can "see Mickey" Not only is it nice to have everyone help, but it teaches her how to save for the things she wants. Now if she would stop pulling $20's out of my purse when I am not looking cause she wants to go so bad that would help too LOL
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:21 AM on Feb. 15, 2010