Is a 25 minute walk in 30 degree weather too much for a toddler?

My toddler is 20 months old. She would be riding in a stroller.

Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Feb. 14, 2010 in General Parenting

• Does anyone else notice that the REALLY REALLY stupid answers come from women posting anonymously?
    You can tell these stupid women have never been more than a couple blocks from their homes. They have NO idea of what their children are capable of. It's no wonder American kids are fatter, lazier, and less healthy than kids ANYwhere else in the world!
    Do you MORONS who post anonymously realize that children go outside in Alaska? Do you think Eskimos, and citizens of Antarctica keep their kids inside all the time?
    Like I said, with that attitude, it's no wonder American kids are so damn fat and lazy. Momma keeps them locked inside all the time...
    TinaN64

Answer by TinaN64 at 7:58 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Heck no. Dress her properly and she'll be fine. It's good for her to be out in cold air.

I used to walk my infants to daycare in below zero weather. They were bundled well and had a wind block. Both are very healthy. It actually helped one twin's lung issues to get the cold air, per doctor's orders.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:48 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• She will be fine..On Saturday me and dd5 stood outside a store to sell girl scout cookies for 3 hours in 30 degree weather, she did have on a snow suit though..

kjfamily

Answer by kjfamily at 9:49 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I was very surprised to read the other responses. I live in the south and we don't have many 30 degree days in my area. We usually don't get little ones out in anything under 45 degrees here.
    Anonymous

************

Wow...here in upstate NY, 45 degrees is considered a "nice day" at this time of year! People wear sweaters/sweatshirts instead of winter coats and mittens!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:56 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Heck I won't go out and walk until it's at least in the high 40's or 50's. If it's an emergency then it is what it is but if it's not necessary I wouldn't do it
    Anonymous

• I'm in upstate NY. We wouldn't get anything done for about half the year if we didn't get out under 45 degrees. It's just what you get used to. Unfamiliarity can be a little unsettling. If you were in it more often, it wouldn't be a big deal. You see people in shorts up here when it gets to be 45.....that's a heatwave if it hits in winter! :o)
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:58 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I forgot to answer the question! My 19 month old and I go out on walks in weather as cold as 25 degrees. Just make sure she is bundled up.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 9:59 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Minnesota baby! We go for walks in 12 degree weather. It's called layers layers and more layers, and cover those hands and cheeks up! That's right, we'd never get anything done! My last baby was born on the coldest day of the year 45 BELOW!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 10:03 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

The kids would have to be indoors 5 months out of the year here if we didn't take them out in less than 45 degree temps. My sons school has recess as long as the temps are above 15 degrees and the kids have proper winter gear. Most daycares have outdoor snow play as well. Dress a child warmly they are fine out in the cold air. We went sledding for two hours today it was 14 degrees with wind chill I am sure much colder. We were in snow gear and had a blast.
    momtolucas2002

Answer by momtolucas2002 at 10:05 PM on Feb. 14, 2010