What do meals for a 1 year old contain?

1 year old feeding schedule

AllisaMyJoy

Asked by AllisaMyJoy at 10:29 PM on Feb. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What do you mean? Like how often to feed them and what?
    Anonymous

• Do you want suggestions?? Basically a one year old can eat everything you eat, perhaps modified to suit lack of teeth etc. Dairy, fruits, cereal, veg, None of mine were very impressed with meat of anykind until much older, but they loved chicken nuggets (home made -the bought ones are full of all sorts of gross stuff), or a lamb cutlet to munch on, it is a messy grotty time, but your little one will love exploring all the new foods. Try peeling an orange and sitting baby in the bath tub in just a diaper and letting him go for it, cheese sticks, sandwiches cut into little cubes, cubes of luncheon meat, grapes cut in half. It is really like an all day graze at the food bar! Anything finger food is great for their developing motor skills, banana slices, an apple core ( cut most of the flesh off for you and give him the core -happy days)
    There is no right or wrong feeding schedule, if baby is hungry give him something to eat
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 10:37 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• don't stress if they never seem to eat a meal, After 4 kids I think that at this age, a set meal is just alot of hard work for you and baby- I would try and spoon/help some cereal in the morning, and try to get something like dinner happening mid afternoon, mine were all past eating if it went much past 5 oclock, but otherwise, a sandwich cut up into 16 squares for a early lunch, canned peached after an afternoon nap, try not to set too many hard and fast rules, they will grow and blossom, no matter how you do it!
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 10:40 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I am basically text book with my baby. I simply have followed all the rules since she was born. I just looked up feeding schedules every month. Since she has turned one there aren't any instructions. I know what she shouldn't eat and the specific foods she can. What I want to know is the amounts. Like before they tell you the bottle oz and the amount of baby food. Now she eat 3 times a day. An 8 oz bottle, a jar of 3rd baby food and like a graham cracker or cheese stick or something. She won't eat mean until she is 2.
    AllisaMyJoy

Answer by AllisaMyJoy at 10:44 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• My baby is 10 months and since about 8 months has been introduced to meats and everything else. As long as it is not loaded with a lot sugars and salts, allow baby to explore. You never know what they will like or dislike or have allergies to until they try it. My lil one has also had eggs, peanut butter, honey, and chocolate, no allergies. I dont recommend you try the last four until you are certain you want to try it, but you never know anything especially allergies, until you try them on small amounts at first...Its basically what and when the child is hungry..They will let you know..My lil one is a non stop eater, loves everything except bannanas and he is perfectly healthy and not overweight...
    Anonymous

• Allisa, that's because from then up they can eat a huge variety of foods and some kids will eat a little of just two foods, some will eat everything in sight. Try to relax. Your4 baby won't starve herself. Two full bottles a day is plenty of milk, the idea being that if she is full on milk, she won't feel the desire to eat. A bottle after breakfast and one before bed - with the aim to get rid of the morning bottle in the next month or two, is plenty. You should give the milk after the food.
    Then.. as I have said, offer everything. She will take it, squish it mouth it, and you will think she hasn't eaten anything, but she has filed that flavour, texture, away into her memory bank. Boil pasta noodles and let her pick them up and have a go. Avoid heavily spiced and seasoned foods... but babis in India are weaned onto curry. There are no rules, just adventure. Have fun it's a lovely time.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 10:57 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• You've already got a lot of good adivce but I just want to say that where as with eggs and chocolate allergies are the only thing you have to worry about so you can hold try those at your own discretion. Honey isn't recommended for children under the age of two because they don't want them to get sick because it's not pastuerized. And Peanut Butter, they recommend you wait on that not only because it could be an allergy hazard but also because it's a choking hazard and some childrens intestines can't handle it until they are a little older so it can cause severe intestinal problems. So I'd really recommend staying away from at least honey and peanut butter even if you don't think that your child will be allergic to them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Feb. 15, 2010