Food Stamp question- Can I buy a fruit tree with it?

Online I find that "Seeds and plants that produce foods are covered", does that mean I can buy fruit trees with my food stamps?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Feb. 14, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Only if a grocery store sells them.
    TinaN64

Answer by TinaN64 at 11:05 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• yes, if you get it at a store that accepts foodstamps. I know Walmart Super Centers accept foodstamps, so check out their garden department
    Anonymous

• Not likely. I used to work at a grocery store, plus we recieved a small amount for a few months while our application was in limbo, so I've seen both sides of it. I don't remember plants being an option, only seeds. The best thing to do would be to call your case worker and ask, or the 800 number on your card - or even a local store. But a place that sells them, but not groceries, won't likely take FS anyway.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• anon@:41 - it's been a recent change in the FS program that you can buy food bearing plants and seeds.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:37 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• Call your local DSS office ..they should be able to tell you the correct answer.
    jjessers

Answer by jjessers at 8:55 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• that is a wonderful idea! you better be able to buy a fruit tree if you can buy junk food! good for you! remember growing trees isnt easy. we bought a new house with zero landacaping, i mean not even grass. bought a bunch of young trees online and we lost about 8/10th of them! keep them potted inside so you can baby them if it is a really small tree. you Should be allowed to buy the things to grow food with food stamps. it is logical anyways.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:45 PM on Feb. 15, 2010

• In Ohio we are encouraged to buy seeds, plants, and fruit trees with our stamps. Check with your case worker.
    Anonymous