When does the first OBGYN appointment need to be? Can it wait until the medicaid kicks in?

My sister just found out she's pregnant and she has insurance but she's still on our parents insurance so it won't cover her pregnancy. She has to file for medicaid to use as secondary insurance. I went from my parents insurance to my DH's so I don't know how the whole process works but I guess it takes a few weeks to get it set up.

Anyway...My first OBGYN appointments were at 4 and 6 weeks with my 2 children.

Should we pay out of pocket for her first appointment or 2 or can she wait until the medicaid goes into affect before she is seen. She's taking OTC prenatal vitamins, is in good health, exercises and eats well.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:11 PM on Feb. 14, 2010 in Pregnancy

• mine weren't until about 12 weeks. There's nothing they can really do until then except make you pee in a cup and tell you take your prenatals.
    Anonymous

• I didn't have my first appointment with my first until 12 weeks. I called at week5 and the earliest they would schedule me was 12 weeks. I think it is fine for her to wait. Also if she is getting medicaid the docs office might be willing to let her come for an appointment and wait to bill until after her medicaid goes through.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:15 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Your first appt should be at 8 weeks, and you can pay out of pocket, and medicaid will back date the coverage and give her that money back
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 11:15 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Tell her to go to the health dept. That will be cheaper

Answer by admckenzie at 11:17 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• if this is her first appt then most insuances will consider it an office visit and still cover her 1st visit to get an actul dr to tell her that she is pregnant. my daughter is pregnant and thats how it worked for her.
    twinsnseptember

Answer by twinsnseptember at 11:21 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• If she's healthy then it can wait a while.. it would be better to have a idea when she conceived... the sooner she gets a ultrasound the closer the due date will be to a correct day
    Jan0609momma

Answer by Jan0609momma at 11:29 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• I never have an appointment until my twelfth week. But I refuse almost all tests (I only get the 20th week ultrasound and the first bloodwork panel, but none of the genetic defect testing at all, and no early ultrasound). It depends on what she wants. It definitely won't hurt her baby any not to go for any first trimester visits.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 11:33 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• Medicaid pays 3 months back so whenever she can get in is fine. Just let them know she has applied for medicaid and they will send bills to them. If medicaid is approved, they will pay those bills.
    Anonymous

• Medicaid usually goes back 90 days.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• My first appointment was usually around 8 weeks - my midwife wanted to know I'd be far enough along to hear the heartbeat. I always called to apply for medicaid as soon as I had my first appointment made - when I made that appointment, I'd tell them I was applying for medicaid, and they'd hold the bill for a little while, then when I called for medicaid, they'd ask if I had any unpaid medical bills from the last 3 months - I'd tell them I had my first appointment set up, and also if I had seen a doc for anything else - they always went back and paid my last 3 months of medical bills (I always had something, always minor but always something!). So as long as everyone knows what's going on, the doc won't make her pay and the medicaid should go back and cover those appointments. Just be up front with everyone about the money/insurance situation!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Feb. 15, 2010