HOW DO I CORRECT MY SON?

Heyy ladies Im a first time mom & i feel im in the need of lost of help but before this one gets to bad i need to put a stop to it my son will be 2 May 21st 2010 He recently started throwing things at people How do I correct him so he knows he CANT DO THAT? & WHY Dont he know what NO MEANS? Thanks for all your help in advanced!

doms_mommy

Asked by doms_mommy at 11:32 PM on Feb. 14, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Unlike a lot of parents, I am a firm beliver in spankings when needed and that sounds like it just might help a lil....good luck
    Anonymous

• Some children do not undestand No bc sometimes parents dont realize they give in alot after using the word NO, so it confuses them..Some kids think its a game..My son sure does anyways. I can tell him no and he will do it anyways, but he only 10mnths and he really doesnt understand the meaning behind it, like theres consquences to every action. Its not easy but you could try a time out..My niece had to have something thrown back at her and hit in the same spot and just as hard to get her to understand but I DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT!!! lol
    Anonymous

• discipline is the key.

and consistency.

When my children do things they know that they shouldn't, they get disciplined. Time out, toys taken away, and spankings for certain situations. I am a parent, I'm not here to only be a friend to my child. Parents teach their children right from wrong.
    Anonymous

• Tell him no when he goes to do it, if he does it anyway put him in time out, then explain to him after time out that you don't throw things he will get it eventually.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 11:39 PM on Feb. 14, 2010

• tell him "NO that hurts people", also, take away the toys he throws at people...or only let him play with big toys that he can't throw
    Anonymous

• I am also a firm believer in spanking. It seems like this is the only real way to gain control and respect... which are two things you definitely need to raise a good child. Children do not understand all this , please don't do that crap. I hate hearing that when I am out. I so badly want to laugh at those moms and I do.
    Anonymous

• First of all no matter how old he is spankings should Always be a last resort.. I am a mom of four 11, 7, 3, & 8 months plus i work with kids.. I think at two you should look him in the eye & tell him No throwing & put him in a two min time out.. If you do this consistently it should work.. Try that for a month If he gets out of time out it starts over.. If that doesn't work tap his hand & say no throwing & take the toy away.. here is the website for super nanny-
    http://forum.supernanny.com/showthread.php?p=57417
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 12:02 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• A two year old Isn't going to know why you spanked him or her only that you hit them.. he may Or may not understand no, but he will understand to fear you NOT respect you if you spank him & he doesn't know why.. I personally don't want my kids to be afford of me.. So i focus on the good.. i made a chart & when they are good they get a star Or other shape on their chart & earn tv, playing outside, & other rewards.. I was so proud today when my 3 yr & 7 yr old were angels in Walmart helping me, not wondering.. they were so good i thought maybe they wanted something, but still i gave them high fives for their good behavior.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 12:15 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I don't want my kids to be afraid of me.. wait you said 2 in May IMO thats way too young for a spanking he is a baby.!!!
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 12:18 AM on Feb. 15, 2010

• I personally don't believe in spankings, my daughter is still young but I helped raise my niece and nephew and I believe time outs work best. I am also a child psychology major in college. If you put your son in a corner (or anywhere he will be denied the attention he is trying to get from throwing things) for 2 minutes he will learn quickly not to do it. It should only be 2 minutes because he is only 2 (or almost 2). A child should only be in time out the number of minutes that are in their age because that is how long they can remember why they are there. I hope that is helpful to you!
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 1:23 AM on Feb. 15, 2010